Dear God, put Ford out of their misery

My roommate is looking for a new truck. Nothing special, just an '08 Ford F-250 Super Cab with a 5.4L V8 gas engine, 18" wheels, in Ford's dark shadow color.

According to our dealers exactly one of these trucks exists in all of California. The truck has a bunch of other options he neither wants or needs.

So then he asks how long it will take to get one. The first dealer said 6-8 weeks. The next said 4 months. The third said SIX MONTHS.

Sort of hard to buy a truck from Ford when Ford isn't making any trucks.

The sooner they go belly up the better.

Reply to
<nospam

There are at least three ways for the original poster to get the truck he wants

Any Ford dealer, with an open allocation can order the truck you want as a retail sale and have it on the ground in around five weeks. Go talk to truck sales or fleet manager(s) and see if one has an opening in his allocation.

Have a dealer check, via the locater, for one in stock at other dealers in the district. The list changes daily. He can buy it or swap for the truck you need. If he needs to buy it, it can cost a bit more because of the hold back.

If one with an allocation is not available in California try a neighboring state, like Texas where Ford sells lots of trucks, for a dealer who does and have them order and 'drop ship' the truck to a dealer in you area.

To bad I'm not still at my old job, I could have gotten whatever you wanted in around three or four days ;)

mike

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Buying at the end of the model year is fine IF one keeps their vehicle five years or more but not if one is the average American new vehicle buyer, that trades on another new vehicle in three to four years with 34K to 60K on the clock.

When you trade in four years you will be trading a vehicle that is a year older and will have lost more equity than you will save.

I E Let us say you have a 2003 you bought in 2004 and another buyer has a

2004 he bought in 2003. You now buy a 2007 and he buys a 2008. Who do you think will lay out the most money and which will have the greater equity in January 2008? I had a 2005 Mustang GT convertible that I bought in 2004, in August of 2006 I bought a 2007. At the time the car I owned for two years, look to be a year old to a potential used car buyer.

In August of 2007 I will trade my two year old car, that all I had to do to was buy fuel and change oil and inspect, on a 2009. By doing that I have been buying new cars for four to five thousand dollars, out the door. A thousand of which is in increased price for the new model. ;)

mike

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Not making and selling trucks? What color is the sky in your world? The Ford 'F' series trucks are the best selling trucks and the F150 has been the number one selling vehicle in the US for thirty years. GM is second and Dodge is third in total truck sales. Combined they sell over 90% of ALL the trucks sold in the US and around 50% of all the vehicles sold in the US, as well. Toyota has a measly 5% of the US truck market by comparison LOL

mike

Reply to
Mike Hunter