Do even Soccer Moms and Grandmas have Superchargers or Twin Turbos in their cars these days?

I accelerate normally when I get a green light at the stop light and like 95% of the time I'm the slowest accelerating vehicle on the road and the cars that were in parallell lanes always out accelerate me by a mile and the cars behind me are always tailgaiting when I'm accelerating after I get the green light. About the only vehicles that I out accelerate with normal acceleration are large trucks and busses. It's not like everyone on the road is driving a Mclaren F1, Bugatti Veyron 16/4 or a Ferrari Enzo, they're driving Accords, Camrys, Explorers, Windstars, etc, but they always out accelerate me. It's not like people are smoking their tires, I think they're just accelerating nomrally. I mean it's not like I'm driving a 1987 Yugo. It's true that I'm driving a car that weighs over 2 tons, but it does have 205hp@4250RPM and more importantly 280 ft-lbs of torque @

3000RPM. It does 0-60 in 8.2 seconds and 1/4 mile in 16.9 seconds @81.8MPH. You'd think that a quarter mile time of 16.9 seconds would make a car about average or maybe slightly above average, but where I live I guess that's considered extremely bad acceleration even for a Grandma's Car these days.
Reply to
The Diesel

Grandma, I give up. What are you driving?? bamp

Reply to
bamp

Is it a BMW X5 3.0d?

Reply to
Johannes H Andersen

With what I consider "normal" acceleration for the car, our 2,9L 960 has me way out in front of the pack, and the 1,9L Turbo-Diesel Golf has me ahead of many people (unless someone pushes their car a little - some guy in a big Maxima or something like that) on an initial start (great low end torque) and usually until the next light, unless someone decides my 5-10kph over the speed limit (this is normal for Ontario city roads, on backroads 10-25kph over is pretty standard, on some 80kph divided highways some people do almost 40kph over... police fear isn't too high here).

Reply to
Rob Guenther

Well, I'm not a grandma, I'm a guy. Back to the subject, I'm driving a 2000 Town Car Executive.

Reply to
The Diesel

I think you'll find most/all operators of the other vehicles treat the accelerator as an on/off switch. And, of course, they're all automatics so it's not like there's any skill involved in driving this way. If you drive like them, I think you'll find that they aren't out accelerating you.

Reply to
FanJet

I know the problem!

It's a Ford product!

The fastest and only cure, BURN it!

Refinish King

Reply to
Refinish King

Reply to
John Robertson

You need a big dose of Chrysler to cure you of that opinion.

Jon

acceleration

Reply to
Zeppo

Gee, and I'll bet you've got real police work that needs doing. We do here. If the state needs more $$ for whatever, I wish the politicians and police would be honest about it. As it is, we've got a bunch of police officers chasing citizens at supra legal speeds for trivial offenses. Invariably, neither of the pair possess even average driving skills which frequently leads to accidents - often involving innocents. Whatever they're thinking, this foolishness surely doesn't make me feel safer on the highways.

Reply to
FanJet

I guess we should all support our Police!

They need the coffee and donuts!

Refinish King

Reply to
Refinish King

When I was a kid, the police used many more motor bikes. When one passed, some other kid would remark: "Could you see the saddle?" ;-)

Reply to
Johannes H Andersen