Escort reset button for heater circuit breaker

Suddenly, the heater blower fan has stopped working. You can hear the dampers move when the ventilation mode dial is turned, so it seems it is a fan problem only.

The owner's manual mentions a 30 amp circuit breaker with reset button in the upper left part of the fuse box area. I see a small black plastic (about 1 inch by 1/4 inch) thing with a red dot painted on it, but no button.

Is this black plastic some sort of cover for the button which has to be pryed off or removed in some fashion?

Thanks in advance.

Bud H

Reply to
Bud H

It's a 1997 Escort Wagon, which I forgot to mention.

Reply to
Bud H

Reply to
Chris Bowne

Reply to
Chris Bowne

Lemme guess.. whole lotta snow that turned to ice... Good thing I read this, because the heater blower on wife's taurus quit... just after i repair the cracked trans cooler line from plowing into the 18 inches of snow in my drive.

While digging out, heater running on full but didnt check to dee if it was moving air.. get all else done no blower... until I removed the assy, and THEN it worked ... corroded rivets on thing I guess.

Replaced it anyway..OF COURSE.. about 19 bucks for the 95 taurus

Chris Bowne opined in news: snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com:

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

Thanks for the information. As it turned out, it mysteriously was working two days later on its own, so a blown fuse doesn't seem likely!

Still not sure what happened - or what might make it occur again. It hadn't snowed much at all from the last time I knew it had been working before the failure.

Bud H

Reply to
Bud H

If it's intermittent, check for loose, burned, or corroded connections on the resistor pack cable connector. A high resistance (i.e. poor) connection there can generate a whole lot of heat at that point. I had this problem with my 94 Escort a while back and had to replace the multipin connector with spade lugs on the individual leads to mate up with the stabs on the resistor pack.

The root cause of the resistor thermal fuse blowing due to icing in the fan intlet is the lousy design of the fresh air intakes, where the inlet is below the bottom of the windshield in that gap between the windshield and hood that invariably fills up with ice and snow and is hard to clear out. All that moisture that gets sucked in there also causes lots of windshield fogging from the inside until the heat cooks it out. You would think after over a hundred years of automobile design Ford could come up with a better idea. Come to think of it, didn't the early 50s Fords (and other cars) have a little exterior door on the heater fresh air intake that kept unwanted stuff out of it for just this reason? Probably eliminated for "styling" and "aerodynamic" purposes.

Reply to
Chris Bowne

Many cars even older than that had a pop-up air inlet. Cost seems to be the main reason for eliminating good things like that, sell us less for more money.

The inventor of the concealed wiper should be in jail !!

Reply to
clemslay

Thanks so much! After over 2 hours of ripping my dash apart trying t get to the blower selector switch, I found this post, tested tha stupid thermal overload fuse, went to the Ford dealer, and had i fixed for $13. I hate to have seen the bill the dealer would hav given me to troubleshoot and then fix this thing. This forum i priceless! Thanks again. :

Reply to
tri2

I had exactly the problem described by Chris Bowne. It was freezin last several days. And before that, the rain was pouring and it wa the first time my Ford escort was leaking. There were some wate under the glove box. I did not pay any attention. Then, the blowe fan was dead.

I had no clue, but I know if I take my car to some repair shop, th

bill was not acceptable to me. I decided to do it myself. I searche the internet, and found this. I took the blower out. Ow, a lot of ic inside. I actually used the hammer to break it. And leave it on th heater in my room for a while to dry it. Then, I put it back on. thought it wold be fine. However, it did not work. I came back t this post. OK, the resistor. I took it off, and brought it back t test. Yes, that is the problem. Now, I put a jumper on it. The nex thing is to go to FORD dealer

Thanks! Especially to Chris Bowne

Reply to
DIYisme

replying to Chris Bowne, mikesull135 wrote: You definitely sound like you know what your talking about. I'm trying to diagnose my 92 Escort AC problem. I'm not getting power to my blower motor. I'm not getting power to my blower motor or the resistor. The fuses checked out okay but it looks like I'm missing that 30 amp heater circuit breaker. If that is replaced and still nothing what would you recommend doing next? I appreciate any advice in advance thanks.

Reply to
mikesull135

mikesull135 wrote in news:_rsnB.1141897$ snipped-for-privacy@fx42.am:

how about you check your blower switch or resistor block. KB

Reply to
Kevin Bottorff