Ford Aerostar -- Check Engine Light - OBD2 Code P-0401

Check engine light came on and ended up being P-0401. I cleared it and within 15 minutes it came back. Before I start following some internet T/S steps that end up with "buy stuff from us or our sponsors", I thought I'd ask and see if anyone has some cheap and easy things to try first.

Here's the info about that code and some suggestions on how to attack the problem:

BTW, this happened a few weeks ago, and tightening the gas cap solved the problem then.

Thanks, fellers!

Bob

Reply to
Guv Bob

I had that same code on my 2002 Escape (3.0l V6) three times over the 12 years I owned it, and it turned out to be the DPFE each time. As old as yours is now, I'd check the attached hoses (silicone rubber) before spending the ~$50 for a new one (I got mine from RockAuto.com), and the other EGR hoses. If you do decide to get a new DPFE, I would advise against the AirTex* brand. The first one I bought was that brand, and it lasted about 4 months. I replaced it with the Standard brand and that one lasted 4 or 5 years, so I replaced it with another Standard brand, and it was still in it when I traded it in February.

*I also had an AirTex IAC valve that only lasted 5-6 months before it quit working. Not sold on AirTex at all :-(
Reply to
SC Tom

Thanks SCT. I'm checking things slowly and will post what I run into.

I found this great website that is very well organized and has many tests, mostly using a multimeter and simple tools. Don't know how good the info is yet, but it's organized very well.

Bob

Reply to
Guv Bob

Thanks SCT. I'm checking things slowly and will post what I run into.

I found this great website that is very well organized and has many tests, mostly using a multimeter and simple tools. Don't know how good the info is yet, but it's organized very well.

Bob

===

A great video on checking out the cooling system:

Guv Bob