Ford, GM have discussed merger, alliance

The selling prices of Toyota that are only assemble in the US average 20% t0

30% more than those of domestics of similar size, and similarly equipped, yet the average wage Toyota pays their US employees is over ten dollars an hour less, with fewer benefits and less desirable pensions. No wonder Toyota is showing greater profits, when one adds in the fact they pay no federal corporate income taxes on the profit earned form those vehicles.. That says lot about the wisdom of the people who are willing to pay so much more for a vehicles in reality is no better ;)

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Do you believe the average line worker has TIME to change a light bulb? If you do you have never been in an assembly plant. Even if he did, does he know the differ between a 110V bulb and a 220V bulb? The fact is management does not want him to change light bulbs. They have a job description.that includes proper training for the guy that does that job, as required by OSHA. The Union does not make the work rules, management does. The only "rights" a Union has, in any contract, is the right to represent the workers. One way they do that is by requiring the company to abide by the contract ;)

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter

You forgot Yugo, Hyundai was great by comparison. If we throw British cars into the mix of choices, I think walking becomes the default selection...

Reply to
Rocky

I know cost more, but 20-30%? I find that hard to believe, even when

0% financing is included.

Toyota is a good Republican corporate citizen, paying no income taxes and resisting unionization.

But they are usually better, and not just for reliability any more, a point that still hasn't sunk into the Detroit auto maker mindset.

If people had wisdom they'd buy mostly minivans and small hatchbacks and few SUVs or trucks, but the American auto companies would be hurt the most by this.

Reply to
rantonrave

The Denver airport's baggage handling system was an example of robots complaining, repeating tasks perfectly wrong every time, and taking too many sick days. GM had its own fiascos with robots in the 1970s and

1980s, and more recently, there was a local highly automated airbag factory that was a true design disaster
Reply to
rantonrave

Hehe.... I actually drove one of the original Yugos.

It was scary!!!

The steering wheel still had that excessive plastic on it from the injection molding process and the entire car shook when idling in gear.

I drove it around the block and when I returned to the dealership the salesman asks me "so what did you think"?

I told him I was happy I returned alive...

Reply to
Terry Brannigan

The robots do exactly what they are told to do. The problem was not that the robots didn't work properly, but rather, they weren't told what to do properly (i.e., programmed properly).

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

I am sorry. I don't know what you are responding to.

Until you show us respect by in-line posting instead of top-posting, I will not reply to your posts.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

Don't forget Daewoo and those cars made in Russia under the Soviets.

Reply to
Jeff

The why did you respond, but not answer the question asked? Never mind, we know why anyway LOL

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Toyota is not just better, they have world beating hybrid cars on the road. The new Camry hybrid is even a cost effective purchase price. A mid sized car that sips gas like a small car, for a few thousand $ more!

Toyota does it, while other companies such as GM just talk about it.

Reply to
Some O

Really? Why is Toyota offering a rebate on the Pruis?

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter

I hate asian cars. Always have since the first one I saw. But the Daewoo gets a bum rap compared to Mitsubishi's bastard child, Hyundai..

You wanna see junk, wait till the geelys from china start showing up, understand they are already available in Canada. A 4x4 in competion with the Kia was tested in germany and scored "0" in the crash test. Driver and passenger would have died in the 40mph head on, driver may survive in the

30mph side impact but will suffer major injuries. But it will sell like hot cakes here.

Whitelightning

Reply to
Whitelightning

Oh my I hope not so soon. I haven't seen one yet. I'll not follow closely; protecting my tires from falling parts!

Reply to
who

Probably because the Camry hybrid impacts it in in price. Normal marketing as volume goes up and costs go down.

Reply to
Spam Begone

On Sat, 23 Sep 2006 22:23:01 -0400, Terry Brannigan puked:

"Yugo call the tow truck while I put out the engine fire..."

lab~rat >:-)

What I'd really like to see is a Ranger with a small diesel. Something with

200-250 ft-lbs of torque. The V-6 doesn't get significantly different gas mileage than the F-150.

Mark

Reply to
Nemisis

All cars must meet US crash tests standards of 35 MPH for a frontal crash and 30 MPH for a rear crash, or they can not be sold in the US

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter

You may be right. There is no question the Pruis is over priced, but the Camry has a rebate as well.

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Has it! I'm going to go look at it.

When my Chrysler dealer realized a few years ago I wasn't into the Chrysler 300, he suggested I look at the Camry, which he sold at his Toyota dealership. Now it seems like time to take up his suggestion.

Reply to
who