GM: Air condition the trunk!

People transport heat-sensitive items in the trunk. Cameras & film, CDs, groceries and whatever get cooked in the closed trunk.

Refrigerating the trunk when needed is not difficult. All that is needed is extra styrofoam insulation in the trunk compartment and lid, a duct from the evaporator and a servo flap valve linked to the dashboard air-con control panel.

Airconditioning has been around since before WWII, yet no maker has thought about cooling the trunk. In fact, the same duct can send cool air to the back seat passengers, a feature we haven't seen in Cadillacs for a long time.

Do it, GM and you will have a selling point Toyota & Camry doesn't.

Il mittente di questo messaggio|The sender address of this non corrisponde ad un utente |message is not related to a real reale ma all'indirizzo fittizio|person but to a fake address of an di un sistema anonimizzatore |anonymous system Per maggiori informazioni |For more info

George Orwell

$1000 option? For shopping, I just put the bags with the ice cream and meat on the front seat, in the shade, and aim a vent at it. Works so far. Long check-out time is what melts ice cream. "Features" don't sell as many cars as quality, and standing behind the quality.

--Vic

Reply to
Vic Smith

Yes. Usually my plan too. But then I have to listen to the seatbelt chime half the way home...

And no, I'm not going to disconnect it... I find it preferable to let the car nag reluctant passengers than to do it myself.

Reply to
cs_posting

I'm the same way when it comes to the seatbelt chime. My Dad always asks "how do I shut that damned thing off"? And I say "try putting your seatbelt on". Works every time.

Reply to
80 Knight

You are both more generous than I am. I tell my passengers that my car won't start until I hear that click. Wanna argue? Get out and walk.

Reply to
Tim J.

Buckle the belt around the bags. Makes the chime go away and helps hold your groceries in place when some idiot pulls out in front of you.

Reply to
SC Tom

Just pick up a Coleman electric cooler. Toss it in the trunk and connect it to 12 V power. They use a peltier junction device. Connected in normal mode it cools, reverse the polarity and you can use it to keep food hot!

Reply to
Steve W.

VW had a cool box in the dash, I believe...Same technology. Could possibly be useful

Reply to
HLS

Actually the trunks of most cars ARE cooled by the AC, via vents in the trunk. Put a thermometer in your trunk and see for yourself if your cars trunk is one that is cooled, WBMA

Reply to
Mike

Now I know why I don't pay much attention to your posts.

Reply to
Scott

He is probably the remaining GM engineer.

Reply to
Canuck57

"Scott" wrote in news:wgQYl.13196$im1.10919 @nlpi061.nbdc.sbc.com:

Yep pretty retarted. KB

Reply to
Kevin

Not sure what you point is unless it's that GM, at least at one time, ran the inside conditioned air thru the door jam vent which then exited thru the trunk, thereby cooling the trunk with the exiting AC air.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

I'm usually the same, but I was always taught not to kick Dad out of the car ;)

Reply to
80 Knight

I think the new Dodge Nitro (perhaps another model), has a cooler built into the dash, where the glove box would be on most cars. Neat idea, but like someone else said, the trunk is usually cool as it is, and if you are going to the beach, or a long road trip, you're better off taking a cooler anyways.

Reply to
80 Knight

I've got a car with a fold down back seat. It's nice when you are putting skis in the trunk or even a 2 X 4 board. Anyway, if you fold the seat down, the trunk is air conditioned. I'll sell this "new" invention to you. If the price is right, I'll even throw in some styrofoam that you can use to insulate it.

P.S. The car is a 1998 model.

Reply to
Kruse

If you're grocery shopping and have a long drive home, just fold the back seat down.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

So freeze your own ice and invest $20 into your own 50 quart cooler. What's the problem here??? Who the hell needs $1000 a/c in a truck when you can BUY A $20 INSULATED COOLER!!!!!!

Reply to
The Henchman

Yup nothing like losing valuable storage space so you can keep a can of soda pop cool. I mean why invest in a $10-$20 insulated cooler when the car companies will sell you one for $1000.

Tell me why Chrysler is bankrupt yet again?

Reply to
The Henchman

It'll be the mobsters car!

2011 Chevrolet Caprice Classic with trunk cooling, capable of preserving bodies in transportation
Reply to
Picasso