Horn Switch repair in 98 Escort

My horn switch is sticking on my 98 Escort. The dealer told me that the entire airbag assembly would have to be replaced - at a cost of $1000. Is this true? The Chilton's guide is sorely lacking on information on the horn assembly. I was only able to find an electrucal schematic and physical location diagram, but no writeup about repair.) I obviously don't want to pay $1000 to fix my horn. Please post replies here and to my email address. Thanks to anyone who can enlighten me.

Reply to
hercules98escort

You can buy a remote horn button and some wire for $10 if that is in fact the case.

mike hunt

hercules98escort wrote:

Reply to
MikeHunt2

Yep--the airbag has to be swapped out if the horn switch goes.

Reply to
Stephan Mynarkiewicz

How would you install this?

Reply to
hercules98escort

on most older car, and it might work on your car??? get one wire about

6 ft. long and have it go to the battery... then the other end to the horn under the front tire area... hit the wire to the battery onto the horn....if you are satisfied with this sound(some cars have two horns, but you might have just one??? then think of how a longer wire going under the hood and then through the firewall to the steering wheel shaft and a add on horn button attached to the steering wheel shaft would be.. you then take the two wires and attach one one to one screw on the added on horn button and then the other wire to the horn button..........
Reply to
jim