Installing moonroof in 1999 Grand Marquis LS

It's about the only thing I don't have (along with fog lights, but that's way easier)

I'd like to have a moonroof (kinda like the OEM one, not the cheap pop-up type)

Can it be done?

One of my friends jokingly suggested getting a top from a car that has one, cutting my top and installing the other one (which of course I

*DON'T* wanna do)

I know it might sound a little stupid, but I'd really like to have a moonroof on that car...

Reply to
Starscream

You can find them by googling aftermarket sunroofs or aftermarket moonroofs.

I don't think the money is worth it. I imagine it would be at least $1000, but, hey your money, not mine.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

The ASC sunroof / moonroof I have in my '95 Crown Vic is slick. Many people think it's a factory job. It leaked only once, had a clogged drain line. I think it was added before the car was delivered from the dealer. I have no idea what they run, this one looks factory, even to the fit of the glass in the well in the roof. Check some custom dealers.

PoD

Reply to
Paul of Dayton

Don't do it! After market moon roofs do not have the built in metal channels under the moon roof to carry off water, like one would find in a factory moon roof. The channels to handle water are simply built into the rubber moldings. The problem is that over time the moldings deteriorate and the seal between the moldings and the roof will eventually start to leak.

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter

An aftermarket moon roof costs a dealer around $850 and retails for around $1,200. That is a lot of money to invest in a car worth around $5,000. One would be better off to invest in a newer car with fewer miles and a moon roof ;)

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Mike - the roof on my C-V with the ASC has the very same deep well and corner drains as the factory flip-up from my '84 Bird. I thought it was factory for that very reason until my shop manual arrived.

If I hadn't seen it myself, I would agree 100% with you.

Of course, who knows if they still build them that way...

PoD

Reply to
Paul of Dayton

For several years the factory roof was installed by American Sun Roof, in vehicles that had the openings stamped into the roof before the body was assembled. In the eighties Mustang convertibles were also made by them, from partially completed notchback coupes. After market sun roofs are installed at dealerships by outside installers who cut a hole into the roof. The resulting hole, lacking the reinforcing added by the gutters, weakened the top and Ford recommend dealers NOT install them in Cougars and T-Birds

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Well then, that explains why mine looks factory, it is (sort-of.) The well and drain system was exactly like the factory flip-up in my '84 Bird...

Thanks Mike-

Paul

Reply to
Paul of Dayton