Middle switch? 1993 Ford Taurus

The other night i was driving home in bad weather and went to turn on my hazard lights. They did not come on and my lights went dim.......I heard a buzzing noise in the steering column. I put my car in park and it would not come out so I thought that maybe it was a fuse etc. Anyway, we checked all fuses...fine, replaced the brake light switch, still no brkae light, no highbeams, no hazards. I have turn signals, low beams, and tailights. Someone suggested the middle switch in the steering column. Any other thoughts? I don't want to pay for something that isnt going to work... Thanks in advance.

Candice

Reply to
Qtip

Is your hazard switch in the top of the steering column? If so, carefully spray lots of WD40 into/around the button. The idea is to get the lube inside the switch. Then work in on and off about 25 times and try it. I have found the hazard switch will get dirty/lube inside dry up and cause problems like you discribe. I dont recall it ever killing the brake lights but hey I can't see the brake lights from the drivers seat so how would I know? ;) Anyway its worth a shot. (remember your problem started when you pushed that button) Also check for power at the brake switch, if there is none, check your fuses again :)

Reply to
ShoeSaleman

Multifunction (MF) switch.

Reply to