Noises under carriage

Well, I cranked up the old 97 Aerostar the other day and after the engine caught, for 2-3 seconds I heard a rumbling noise underneath - hard to tell but sounds like coming from the back half of the van. It doesn't do this every time. Anyone ever had this happen? How would be the best way to pin point the problem, since it's intermittent.

Thanks!

Fred

Reply to
Fred

Suspect exhaust piping, do tug and wiggle test.. have a tendency to break at flange between cat and muffler

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

And the whole exhaust system can drop to the pavement when it comes apart there.

Reply to
Al Bundy

Reply to
Fred