OBDII Scantool

Anyone have a preference to a OBD Scantool they are or have in the past used?

I am looking at two models, Actron CP9180/CP9190 or AutoEnginuity and am interested in any field use info. Other recomendations are certainly welcome. I do have a compliant laptop to run the AutoEnginuity software. I am trying to avoid buying one and wishing I had bought the other

I would appreciate any information you might have.

Thank you.

Reply to
Sologig

My favourite scan tool is the Ford IDS.... a touch spendy for the hobbyist or DIYer....

I'm not familiar with the Actron tool but I have heard many that enjoy AutoEnginuity... I will add that you need to check closely to find the price for what you want out of the tool. I understand that there are different "levels" and such.

Of course the ability to run the KOEO and KOER on demand tests is important. Accessing the data stream goes a long way to making life easier. Output state control (the ability to make the module command an actuator for test purposes) is also a desireable feature though I'm unsure if either tool will give you this.

Finally.... the ability to communicate with proprietary modules (ABS, instrument cluster, GEM, et al) is going to be important. None of these modules can be accessed without using a capable scan tool. And don't forget to make sure it can communicate on CAN networks...

Reply to
Jim Warman