robssmithe

On a 90 the 02 sensor is not AS critical as on '95 and up, but it will still affect mileage and performance to some degree. Crossing any wires will NOT fool the computer because the O2 sensor is a "battery" that generates voltage according to the difference in O2 between the sensed and ambient.

Reply to
clare at snyder.on.ca

I bet you won't lose enough mileage to make up the $250 in crossover pipe...

how much longer are you really planning ot keep that truck...

Reply to
Picasso

If the pipe has been patched up with tin and clamps, its probably leaking exhaust. And if its leaking exhaust, you may die from carbon monoxide poisoning. So, fix the pipe.

Reply to
Mr. Byron Smith III

Ummmmm... did we forget that lost gas mileage is cummulative? Thge longer he keeps the truck, the more it matters.

Did we forget that the default is to a rich mixture? Possibly rich enough to wash cylinder walls and lead to premature engine wear?

I have no emperical data... and neither do you.

Broken is broken... is there any other way to explain it? Without sufficient funds to repair the truck properly, my best suggestion wont be well received

The O2 sensor is the "feedback" component of the system. If the PCM is to deliver the correct fuel charge and the best ignition curve, this sensor needs to report conditions accurately.... But I'm a mechanic and what the f*ck do I know?

Reply to
Jim Warman

And a new sensor in a leaky crossover isn't going to do SQUAT.

Reply to
clare at snyder.on.ca

I realized that, since there is outside air entering the pipe. It obviuously leaks since it's noisyer than it should be.

But here's another question. If I have a muffler shop make me a new crossover (one said they could do it for much less than a factory replacement), can they weld in a place to thread in the O2 sensor? Does it need to be exactly in the same place on the pipe?

Thank you

Reply to
robssmithe

They will have weld-in bungs, and the location SHOULD be as close as possible to the original but it is not terribly critical. A heated O2 sensor is much more forgiving of location. Within 6 inches should be OK.

Reply to
clare at snyder.on.ca