Problems starting Ford Probe (MTX - Manual Transmission)

I own a '96 Ford Probe SE (MTX - Manual Transmission). I've recently been having problems starting the car, and I believe that there are 3
possibilities for this problem, I just needed help identifying which one is the source.
Being and MTX, I need to have the clutch, and the brake pedal pressed down in order to start the car, however, I don't believe the solenoid that determines that the brake pedal is pressed is being triggered.
Also, I've noticed that I can't depress the brake pedal very far at all, I'm guessing I can press it down around an inch, or a little less; and when I press it down that far, the solenoid isn't detecting that I'm pressing on the brake.
How sensitive should the solenoid that detects that I'm pressing my brake be? Is this going to be a problem with my brakes, the solenoid deal - that detects I'm pressing the brake pedal, or a problem with someting on the starter?
Thanks
Mike
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

I dont recall having to depress brake to start my 93 SE.
Do your brake lights work?
IMO, most likely the starter or starter solenoid. If you hear no click, and especially if you do.
Wedge yourself under the dash and check out the clutch-down switch.
you pay..DEAL with it!
I essentially get the same effect as if I had no pedals pressed down at all. If I turn the key, there are no clicks, but the lights in the car and radio dim. It is the same effect as if you were to step in your MTX car and just try and turn the key without pressing any pedals.
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

If the lights dim whether or not you have pedals depressed, then ???, meebe battery? Or connection, from..
If ONLY when pedals depressed, that points to problems down the line. Like I said, solenoid or stare OR battery or connection, from battery.
you pay..DEAL with it!