Ranger Shifter

Ever since I bought my 1996 Ranger I've been banging my thumb into the cig lighter in the dash when shifting into low gear if I'm not carefull. Always had in mind to bend the shifter back -but after lifting the shifter boot found that was not possible (cone shaped tubular lever rubber mounted to forged steel "stub") so yesterday I picked up a spare shifter from the scrappy and $10 worth of 1/2 inch stainless steel round stock. Today I cut the stub off the "socket" and welded the stainless shaft to it (after threading the end and making an adapter for the knob) I shortened the lever 1.5 inches and made the lever lean back a few extra degrees (moved the knob back about 1.5 inches)

I'll never hit my thumb into the dash again, and it shifts MUCH better without the "give" of the rubber mounting. A bit more vibration noise from the trans coming up the lever, but it feels like an "old" truck would feel.

Definitely a mod that is worth doing.

Reply to
Clare Snyder