Re: 1971 Mustang Help..

Look here

mike hunt

Celica Dude wrote:

> Hello out there. > > I am the possessor of a 1971 Mustang 'vert w/ 351c 4bbl & close-range > 4-speed w/ Hurst shifter. Third owner of the car... (my mom was the second > owner). The car has 67,000 original miles. > > I am looking for a place or perhaps a publication that will clue me in as to > how many '71 'verts were built with a 351c and a close-range 4-speed. > > So far, I have found out that 5% of all '71s came with a 4-speed. That > works out to ~7484 'stangs with a 4-speed. There were 6121 'verts made that > year. 'Supposedly,' they all came with a straight 6 unless specifically > requested to have a V8. > > vin is: 1F03M183xxx > > I found those production numbers I posted on the internet... they are all > over, but nothing really specific. > Any info would be greatly appreciated. > > Guess I might have to journey to Barnes & Noble.
Reply to
MikeHunt2

I have posted a couple pictures.... will take a couple minutes at dialup speed... high speed, a few seconds.

Celica Dude

So lets see what you have. A 1971 Mustang convertible 351C 4-v, 4-sp manual (wide ratio) trans, with a 3.25:1 rear axle ratio and dual exhaust. Painted Dark Green Metallic, with black knitted vinyl interior trim. Has dual racing type mirrors. Assembly date was March 15, 1971.

Now here's some more stats:

Out of 6121 1971 Mustangs convertibles produced, there were 392 painted Dark Green Metallic. Out of those 392 convertibles, 13 rolled out of the factory with your paint/trim combo. As an FYI, all body styles with that combo totalled 22 units and breakdown as follows:

Fastbacks = 9 Hardtops = 0 Covertibles = 13

Now you really have to wonder of those 13 convertibles like you have, how many had the 351C 4-v with the 4-sp manual...I'd say a report from Kevin Marti is in order although your getting alot of info here. Pretty interesting huh???

Lastly, the DSO is Pittsburg, Pa. Want more stats??? Sure you do... Total 1971 Mustangs delivered to Pittsburg was 1322 units. Body style breakdown:

835 Hardtops 418 Fastbacks 69 Convertibles

That should keep you overwhelmed for now. If you need to ask additional questions, a few people can also help at rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang. That's where I normally reside at and happened to see your post.

Gotta run. BTW, nice car for restoring...

-- Mike

93 Cobra
Reply to
Mike R

INCREDIBLE!!!!!! Overwhelmed is not quite the word... flabbergasted maybe? :oD Thank you VERY much for breaking that down for me... This car was bought by my mom in Florida in '74 or so from the original owner, who bought it for his wife to drive. She got tired of it.... i wonder what the guy bought his wife after the mustang?

My mom test drove a Goat the day before she bought this mustang.... fortunately, the goat sucked a hellatious amount of gas, and it was 1974, so my mom opted for the 'stang instead. THANK GOOODNESS! I honestly think I'd rather have this car, knowing what I now know.

Oh hey, did I mention that this car has been garage-kept and hasn't seen a rain shower or a puddle for the past 25 years? There is a little rust in the cowl, some by that rubber plug on the right side of the trunk, and on the rear valance.. Everything else is cherry, albeit dusty.

Thanks again! Jeff

Reply to
Celica Dude