Re: A War on Horsepower?

Really? Take an Accord, or Camry, or Altima -- the 4 almost always gets better mileage than the V6. Mustang? V6 vs V8, same story. SUVs, ditto.

Only if the 4 is so underpowered it has to work really hard might your claim be true.

And that is from magazine tests.

Reply to
Lloyd

Aerodynamics have also improved. 6-speed automatics (and 6-speed manuals), even 7- and 8-speeds, also help.

Actually they do. Why do you think some engines now switch to 3 or 4 cylinders if not to save fuel?

Reply to
Lloyd

I don't know where you get THAT idea. Curb weights on comparable class (ie midsize or fulsize) vehicles have stayed similar or actually gone UP due to all the mandated safety equipment. My wife's 1993 v6 powered car (Eagle Vision) actually weighs a couple hundred pounds more than my 1973 v8 powered car (Plymouth Satellite). But it does get about 10 mpg better, thanks to a locking torque convertor, an extra gear in the transmission, and electronic engine and transmission management.

Reply to
Steve

Bingo. Wow- Lloyd and I agree! Mark this date! :-)

Seriously, putting more gears in the gearbox, cleaning up aerodynamics, AND the advent of the locking torque convertor are worth far more than EFI and weight reduction (which hasn't really happened anyway) combined.

Reply to
Steve

Exactly.

I was reading recently about the 1987 Honda Civic Si, which gets something like 45MPG.

The 2008 Civic only gets 35MPG.

The difference is that the '87 car weighs 1000 lbs less due to all the extra safety gear in the '08 car.

The honda tech guy was quoted as saying, "rook! Godzirra!"

Oh, wait - I meant, he was quoted as saying, "I wouldn't want to get in an accident in the '87 model."

Reply to
PerfectReign

Not just the safety gear. There is more room in the newer Civic. If you want a small car, get the Fit or wait for the new Fiesta.

Reply to
Jeff

Meh - been there done that.

I had a small car - a '98 Maxima. I'll never drive a small car again.

I have a midsize truck now.

Reply to
PerfectReign

The 2008 Civic only gets 35MPG. The difference is that the '87 car weighs 1000 lbs less due to all the extra safety gear in the '08 car. The honda tech guy was quoted as saying, "rook! Godzirra!" Oh, wait - I meant, he was quoted as saying, "I wouldn't want to get in an

Reply to
alabamarosethorn

A couple of things there though- the Civic has gotten a class or two larger in size as well. An 87 Civic is more comparable to a Fit today. FAR more comparable. Today's Civic is comparable to an 80s Accord.

And another thing- no way in hell did an 85 Civic actually get 45 mpg anywhere but on an EPA dyno! That POS was lucky to get 30 once it had more than 30k miles on it. And today's Civic, even though larger, would out-accelerate an 87 by a HUGE margin.

Reply to
Steve