George Orwell

On an OBD2 vehicle the CEL will come on long before you feel any loss of power from a clogged cat.

Reply to
clare at snyder.on.ca

It often will, but not always - all the OBDII knows about is whether it thinks the cat is working with the gases that make it through. The cat can be largely melted without triggering the cat codes, with some systems being much sensitive than others.

The Haynes manual for my daughter's Honda (of all places) has a good test for exhaust restriction: Connect a manifold guage to the intake manifold and note the reading at idle. Raise the throttle to about 2000 rpm for a few seconds and watch the guage as you release the throttle. It should return to the idle reading within two seconds. If it hangs at the higher pressure for several seconds or if it gradually returns to the idle reading you are seeing the effects of back pressure.

I like this method because it is quick and doesn't involve dealing with the exhaust.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

Good test - but I've NEVER seen a melted down cat function well enough in the oxidizing mode to satisfy OBD2. Usually a melted cat has had the CEL on for more than a few miles at some point in it's life, because they GENERALLY only melt down if there are other emission related problems that turn the CEL on - like running WAY tto rich.

Reply to
clare at snyder.on.ca