1995 Dodge Ram Power Loss

Dodge experts:

I have a 1995 Dodge Ram 1500 pickup with the 5.9L V8. The truck has about 70K miles on it, and I have recently been having some power loss issues. The problem I have is if the truck runs at highway speeds for about an hour (my commute is 1.5 hours one way), the engine will suddenly lose power, backfire, and will stall. I can re-start the engine, but it will run very rough. Even when it runs a little smoother, the engine has no power (I put it in Drive, but the truck barely moves). If I let the engine cool down for about 15 minutes, the truck will run fine.

I just replaced the spark plugs, spark plug wires, rotor, distributor cap, and air cleaner with no luck. When the engine dies, there is no "check engine light" that comes on. I have yet to replace the fuel filter.

I have done some investigating, and it looks like replacing the MAP sensor and/or the crankshaft position sensor may help. Before I invest any more money, however, I thought I would ask for some help.

Any ideas on what is causing my problems???

Thanks for the help.

Regards,

Jeff Kolodziej snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net

Reply to
Jeff Kolodziej

philthy

A crank sensor will shut off lke a switch, no loss of power just shut down. More then likely you are having a fuel pump issue. slowly loosen pressure, slowly loosing power. Perform a fuel pressure test when the problem is occurring. if you do a test when the problem is not there it will show a good pressure. Just a thought!!

Glenn Beasley Chrysler Tech

Reply to
maxpower

Put a fuel pressure gauge on the fuel rail test port. My hunch is that you have a dying electric fuel pump that gets worse as it heats up. Been there/done that with a 92 Dakota (same basic drivetrain and fuel setup).

You may also find that you have an error code set for the O2 sensor being out of range because its running excessively lean when the fuel pressure falls.

Reply to
Steve