Re: Ford GM Delphi layoffs were planned in July 05 and earlier...

The ONLY Toyota workers that are well paid and receiving decent benefits are those that work in the union GM/Toyota plant in California.

How long do you think American workers, in low wage plants like those of Toyota and Honda, will sit back and watch all of those profit going to Japan tax tree? There is a movement afoot, as we speak, among Honda workers in Ohio to unionize. ;)

mike hunt

CL (dnoyeB) Gilbert wrote: > > According to your theory the Toyota and Honda workers must have horrible > working conditions and lousy compensation as they are not unionized in the > US. Nothing could be further from the truth. > > From what I understand it is extremely difficult to get a job in one of > their plants. They don't have a lot of turnover, and they get a lot of > applicants when positions are available. Toyota lineworkers are some of > the highest paid in the industry. This shouldn't be possible operating > under your theory.
Reply to
Mike Hunter

Is there some new news on this? The Unions have tried to organize Honda's Ohio plants for many years and the past efforts all went down in flames.

Such as in 1999:

Do you have any more recent information showing that something is different now?

John

Reply to
John Horner

The unions failed to gain representation in the Mack plant and the supplier plants around the Mack truck plant in North Carolina at first as well, but they are nearly all represented plant today. NC is a right to work state.

My source is a nephew that works in the assembly plant. True past efforts to get enough signatures to allow workers to vote on union representation have fallen short. The latest effort looks more like a vote is likely. Honda, like all who are targeted by unions, spend a lot a company time and effort to convince workers they do not 'want' a union. They threaten to reduce the work force of even shut down and such, but the first thing the company does is improve the wage and benefit structure. The first thing the union tells the workers on the next try is, we got you your last employment package improvement and we are not yet representing you. Can you imagine what we can do for you if we do get to represent you? LOL

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter