Re: The Auto Industy's 2nd Biggest Fear

"Mike Marlow" wrote

Says the Fascist.

""Fascism should more properly be called corporatism because it is the merger of state and corporate power." - Mussolini

Reply to
V-for-Vendicar

Yeah, by one whose sentence structure, punctuation, and spelling is just so fine.............

Reply to
cavedweller

Not educated by this point, however I do stand corrected.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

Shame Mercedes has never made a profit with smart, too!

Reply to
Rob

"Rob" wrote

Their frame is pretty much optimal. Engine needs better mialage, and it's near perfect for electric conversion.

Reply to
V-for-Vendicar

If they were that small I'd have to stop driving as they don't meet my basic driving needs. I'm not including the Beetle, I've owned 3 but they are no longer available.

Although it would be a squeeze, the Toyota Yaris sedan could meet our needs.

The Smart Car is very dumb, my wife and I couldn't even go grocery shopping in it. We need space for groceries and of course golf clubs.

Reply to
Some O

If you can find a 1/2 size parking space (not possible here); or share a full sized space with another Dumb/Smart car.

The Toyota Yaris smokes the ForFour on value and space in the Yaris sedan.

Mercedes should leave small mini cars to others. They are wasting the money they make on their full sized cars on their over priced Smart line. It isn't even a case of the rich helping the poor, because the poor can't afford a Dumb/Smart car.

Reply to
Some O

That's one of my biggest gripes.

Here the automakers strive for "mileage" but all they can do is shrink the cars and try to fit us like sardines in tin cans.

I'm sorry - I don't drive cars that are shorter than I am tall. (No, I'm not 106", that's just a figure of speech.)

Of course, it would be interesting to see one these micro cars with the motorcycle engine do zero to 60 in three seconds....

Reply to
PerfectReign

Jeff is obviously very right. Whoops I should say correct.

Reply to
Spam away

The big problem is salt on the roads. Every hear of Al boat hulls in salt water. BIG corrosion problems.

Anyway current car designs have no frame corrosion problems for normal use for a normal life span.

Reply to
Spam away

"V-for-Vendicar" wrote in news:Hkarj.15303$ snipped-for-privacy@read2.cgocable.net:

I am sorry you are a fuc*ing idiot. Alum. will corode quite easy, unless it has a very good protective coating on it. salt will destroy it almost as fast as other metals. I have seen much alum. corroded. Try looking at alum trucks and trailers. They last longer than straight steel but not a miricle. KB

Reply to
Kevin

Then get the ForFour. The ForTwo is mostly for commuting to work and getting into tight parking spaces. It is very popular in Europe for the size, as I expect, it will be in NYC, Boston, and the like. It is not the car for a family run from Yuma to Phoenix.

When I lived in Philly, I came home many a night and could not park close but had to pass spots that were just a little shorter than my full sized or even compact car. If I had a Smart, I'd just pull right in. Where I live now, I have 200 feet to park in at home and a spot at work that is 15 feet from the door. .

Smart of Dumb? Get back to me in a year or so after the consumer had made their choice.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

"Some O" wrote

34-40 MPG

Smart Car 60 MPG.

If I were in the market for a car, Smart is the only thing I would consider.

Reply to
V-for-Vendicar

"PerfectReign" wrote

No doubt standing beside a Formula 1 style car would make you poop your pants.

Can't bend over? Physical deformaty or old man status?

"PerfectReign" wrote

Which of course is worthless measure of anything.

Wanna go on a thrill ride, go to the Circus.

Reply to
V-for-Vendicar

"Spam away" wrote

It's not a problem at all.

Average annual metal corrosion rates after long-term exposure for various climates and pollution levels

Salt Exposure none moderate high

Alunimun .0003 .009 .0194 Weatheing Steel .023 .09 .810 Carbon Steel .04 .26 2.19

304 Stainless .000025 .000127 .0004 316 Stainless .000025 .000025 .000028

So unless you own a Delorian, corrosion rates due to weathering are 1/10th to 1/100th what your current car experiences.

"Spam away" wrote

The normal life span is shit. Planned to match your ability to afford to purchase a new one just as a the cattle milking cycle is designed to match a cows capacity to produce.

The AmeriKKKan public just love to be milked like the cattle they are.

Reply to
V-for-Vendicar

"Kevin" wrote

I just posted a corrosion chart above. The rate of corrosion for heavy exposure to salt is 1/80th the rate that the steel in your current car corrodes. And under moderalt salt exposure 1/10th of the rate at which the steel in your car corrodes.

Bend over Kevin. GM's c*ck want's to butt f*ck you again..........

"Kevin" wrote

They last about 10 times longer for the same thickness of material.

You like being Milked by GM don't you Kevin?

Reply to
V-for-Vendicar

As I said the Toyota Yaris is a much better deal and I'm sure much more reliable than the ForFour:

Those of us who know Chrysler cars over the last 20+ years, know all about Mitsubishi's reliability.

Reply to
Some O

Can't you read? I said the tiny Dumb/Smart car doesn't meet even my basic urban needs. My basic need come well before fuel mileage- PERIOD! A golf pro at my golf course owns one. He carries his golf clubs in the passenger seat. Now how would my wife and I go to play golf in one? You sound like the dummies that have been trying to run Chrysler into the ground over the last number of years.

The Smart will sell in the USA as in Canada. To very select markets and mostly to inner city businesses who like to place advertising on it. It won't make money unless it is manufactured in China.

Reply to
Some O

"Some O" wrote

Yaris MPG 35 to 40 MPG

SMART 60 MPG

The only car I would consider purchasing at this point is a SMART car.

Reply to
V-for-Vendicar

"Some O" wrote

Then you would be best off with a 4 seater SMART.

"Some O" wrote

Keep your clubs at the club.

"Some O" wrote

Keep your clubs at the club.

"Some O" wrote

You sound like a cow who is ready to be milked.

"Some O" wrote

China is really cleaning AmeriKKKa's clock isn't it?

Reply to
V-for-Vendicar