Re: Thumping Noise from front tire(s) - Explorer-EB 2000

Sounds like you need to take it to a repair shop and have it checked out. It could be other things than a tire out of balance. A weight could have come out or it could be a problem like a bad bearing (it doesn't sound like a bad bearing, but it could be).

Jeff

About six weeks ago I purchased a used Ford Explorer EB 2000 with 36K > miles on it. It came with an almost new set of tires (9/32 tread) > Good Year Wrangler RT/S 255/70/16. I did not have any problem with > tire noise for almost a month. The tires were apparently balanced when > mounted (have balancing weights on them). > > Now, at low speeds (30-40mph) I hear a thumping noise that appears to > be coming from the right front wheel, there does NOT appear to be any > vibration associated with it. As the driving speed increases, the > pitch of the noise gradualy changes to whining noise. > > I did not hit a curb or any significant pot hole, the vehicle does not > pull to a side with the steering wheel left free when driving, so > alignment does not appear to be disturbed. The noise from wheel(s) is > loud enough to produce the feeling as if a window has been left open, > while it is not so. > > Any ideas as to what might be happening and how should I approach this > issue? > > Thanks, In advance. > > Matt
Reply to
Jeff