Re: tom fails basic electricity

>>Well, almost... not quite. >> >>This is not 'just' automotives but it aint just basic electricity >>either.. >> >>The normal mode of failure in a solid state power switching device is >>short, then open. >> >>This is because the barrier between the "n" and "p" diode elements has >>been punctured, (for want of a better term, it used to be called "punch- >>through") usually by a voltage difference higher than design specs.. like >>a voltage spike or surge ( can happen if you remove battery cable while >>running. Contamination, either during mfr or by atmospheric incursion >>can also attribute. >> >>Once it shorts, it overheats then, almost instantly, "burns out" or >>opens. But SOMETIMES there will be a residual path through the device or >>a high resistance short. It wont burn out completely because the current >>is limited by the resistance to the point where the substrate dissipates >>the heat generated. >> >>What you're looking for is between a .2 and .5 amp draw with key off, is >>my guess. >> > >Close. It can be as high as 3.5 to 4 amps with a "leaky" diode - and >believe me, they do not always fail open. With a diode rated for 120 >amps (with a sizeable reserve) and a stator segment drawing even 60, >they can fail shorted and NOT evaporate. I've seen my share in 38 >years. >> >

LMFAO

bullcrap as a matter of fact you better learn what a diode does

hurc ast

hurc ast

Reply to
glover_73

I know very well what a diode does. I even have a pretty good idea how. I also know that they DO fail, and how. A diode can be used as a rectifier, as a switch, as a detector, a light source, and a light detector among many other things. I have used them for all the above in many different projects - Copper Oxide, Selenium, Germanium, Galium Arsenide, Silicon, and vacuum tube(heated and cold cathode type) types.I've even made a few (crystal detectors) back when you were still a gleam in your Daddy's eye.

Reply to
nospam.clare.nce

great how many electrons do they use in a crystal

lmfao your on the spot now

hurc a s t

Reply to
international444

wrote

Because you don't know, and you want us to educate you?

It's basically a "one-way valve" that allows the alternator to pump electricity out to the battery, and keeps the electricity from draining backwards through the stator's windings to ground. Of course, if one or more of the diodes goes bad and shorts itself, there's nothing keeping the battery from being drained through the diode. And before you mention the key being off (again), the key doesn't break the direct connection between the alternator output and battery, it only controls the power to the field windings.

Yep, there we go... Once again, Hurc admits he's wrong (in a roundabout way) by trying to change the subject to some stupid question with no answer, and which has absolutely no relevance to the original poster's problem.

Reply to
MasterBlaster