Re: Toyota drags down new-vehicle quality average; Ford leads Detroit 3 gains, J.D. Power says

It's really incredibly stupid. Toyota went from 1.08 last year to

1.17 this year in terms of problems PER CAR. No retail car customer in their right mind owning one or two new Toyotas (or any other brand) would consider a change of 0.09 problems in the first 90 days something meaningful in terms of making a buying decision. There is so little difference between most brands that the whole thing has become ludicrous.

I've never put a lot of faith in any of these surveys. The JD Powers initial

>quality survey is just that - how good a new car is. They are all >good...well almost. It is probably better than the crap Consumer Reports >prints, but only marginally. > >The whole range is between about 1 problem per car and less that 2 >problems.....I suspect the survey accuracy is probably =/- 1 problem..... > >In a year things are likely to be completely different... > >BTW, here is the list: > >2010 IQS Nameplate Ranking >Problems per 100 vehicles >Porsche 83 >Acura 86 >Mercedes-Benz 87 >Lexus 88 >Ford 93 >Honda 95 >Hyundai 102 >Lincoln 106 >Infiniti 107 >Volvo 109 >Industry Average 109 >Ram 110 >Audi 111 >Cadillac 111 >Chevrolet 111 >Nissan 111 >BMW 113 >Mercury 113 >Buick 114 >Mazda 114 >Scion 114 >Toyota 117 >Subaru 121 >Chrysler 122 >Suzuki 122 >GMC 126 >Kia 126 >Jeep 129 >Dodge 130 >Jaguar 130 >Mini 133 >Volkswagen 135 >Mitsubishi 146 >Land Rover 170 > >Read more: >
> [...]
Ashton Crusher

Well, the thing is, NONE of the cars today have enough initial defects to be considered alarming... all of them are far better than anything made a couple decades ago.

So, really, using initial defects to compare vehicles is useless because the defect levels are all in the noise floor.

The problem is, though, that what I want to know is how reliable a car will be after I've been driving it for twenty years, and measuring that without first driving the car for twenty years isn't possible. So there really isn't a good metric for what I most want to know, and the metric that _is_ available is effectively useless. It's a sad state of affairs.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

One problem with the JD Powers and Assoc. survey is that it combines all problems. So, if there a problem with a loose screw in the dashboard or the engine caught fire and the car is trashed, the problems are weighted equally. Another problem with the survey is that these are owner reported problems. So the owners of a particular brand or model of car might be less likely to report a problem than owners of another brand or model. Finally, this is only during the first 90 days of ownership. So if a car's brakes completely fail, resulting in a wreck that destroys the car is not reported at all.

Jeff

Reply to
dr_jeff

What do you mean by the last sentence? If the brakes fail within the first

90 days, it's going to be reported. Why would think it wouldn't?

Problems outside of the IQS 90 days, would be covered by the JD Power Vehicle Dependability Study which would be three years from the current model year. (e.g. the 2010 survey covered problems with the 2007 model year vehicles)

Derek

Reply to
Derek Gee

If the crash occurs on day 91, it is not reported.

Reply to
dr_jeff

I actually filled out one of these surveys for my Nissan Frontier. They asked a lot of questions. What they put in the press releases is just a teaser. JD Power makes money by selling the results to companies, not by giving away the information. Too bad they don't share more of the information with the public - but then if they gave a way the good stuff, how would they make money.

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

I guess that would depend on if the user was included in the Vehicle Dependability Study for that model year vehicle. Frankly, I wouldn't expect too many brake failures on day 91.

Derek

Reply to
Derek Gee