Toyota Quality ?

The a/c failed on my 2000 Sienna with only 50K miles. It is the second time it failed since last summer. The dealer replaced an "O-ring and a tubing" last time, and this time they want $1,000 for a new condenser and receiver. No way man. I took it to an independent shop and they said the receiver is fine and all they need to do is to replace the condenser for $400.

My feeling is that the whole air conditioning system in this car is junk. I thought I paid big bucks for toyota quality. Should have bought a Caravan with an extended warranty and have some money spared for repairs down the road.

Reply to
JW

Has anyone here, besides me, ever noticed that trolls from hotmail always appear suddenly to badmouth Toyota, pump up Chrysler, then disappear never to be seen again?

Hmm. Hotmail. Free. Interesting.

------------------------------------------------- "I wish they had a delete button on Lexis-Nexis." - John F. Kerry

Reply to
Eric Dreher

JW wrote in rec.autos.tech

How much is Chrysler paying you to troll this crap. I will never buy another Chrysler, I have experienced their quality. Hell, I'll buy a Kia first. Better quality, better warranty, and cheaper.

Reply to
Dick C

Ditto. Although Hyundai isn't too bad either. WAAAAY better than Dodge by any measure. And argueably better than GM or Ford products, at any price. Got to make you wonder though, why doesn't Toyota offer a super warranty like the Korean guys? I don't think it would hurt them at all to do it. It would prove that their product is superior and at the same time win more customers. Whatya say Toyota? Do it and even make it retroactive. What have you got to lose?

Reply to
Free Rider

In 92 when Ford switched to 3 year warranties they retroactively extended the warranty of my 91 by 2 years. Sure needed it too.

Reply to
Art

What's a receiver?

Reply to
Art

Ford has had a 100,000 mile warranty on the Focus for several years.

mike hunt

Free Rider wrote:

Reply to
BrickMason

I would totally disagree with this statement. American cars are not great, but much better than anything from Korea! Did you drive in a Kia? They sound like there is no floor panneling.

Reply to
Dan J.S.

Well FIRST OFF... you need to educate yourself about the various components and what they do as their part of a system. The receiver/drier has two functions: (a) it is the system's filter for all mechanical debris and (b) it is the water separator (using the term loosely) because you cannot have moisture being pumped around through places that dip WELL below the freezing point of water without having a cessation of refrigerant flow. Anytime you replace a component (hose with O-ringed fittings, compressor, evaporator, condenser, expansion valve, etc) the receiver/dry must be replaced too. No butts.

Now WHY is your condenser in question? The condenser is mounted IN FRONT of the radiator where IT IS exposed to flying ROCKS and collisions with other vehicles. Punctures are not unheard of and that's not the car manufacturer's fault regardless of who that manufacturer is. For this diagnosis, the shop HAD to have performed a Halide leak test for escaping refrigerant and pinpointed the leak. Condensers do NOT clog up UNLESS the moisture absorbing bladder in the receiver/drier has ruptured (does happen). Start asking INFORMED questions of your shop and ask them to show you.

Reply to
Philip®

I'll give him a one time benefit of the doubt.

Reply to
Philip®

Because the car NEEDED it? Or as a public relations damage control effort? ;^)

Reply to
Philip®

With a handle like "buywheels"?

Most trolls have no imagination.

------------------------------------------------- "I wish they had a delete button on Lexis-Nexis." - John F. Kerry

Reply to
Eric Dreher

The 10/100,000 warranties are generally put forth by those companies trying to prove their reliability. Toyota is well established as having reliable vehicles and so doesn't need to push heavy warranties.

Reply to
Tony P.

Liquid receiver for storing liquid refrigerant after condenser cooling! "Art" ¼¶¼g©ó¶l¥ó·s»D :ntAjc.4982$ snipped-for-privacy@newsread2.news.atl.earthlink.net...

Reply to
Sam Cheung

Dan J.S. wrote in rec.autos.tech

Yes, I have driven a Kia. But, my comment was not aimed at American built cars in general. It was aimed at Chrysler products. Chrysler has some interesting designs. Unfortunately, they do not have either the workmanship or quality to make it worthwhile to buy one.

Reply to
Dick C

"Philip®" spake unto the masses in news:SuBjc.15275$ snipped-for-privacy@newsread2.news.pas.earthlink.net:

That email address may be bogus. Look at the headers, which I think are forged:

UTC time offset is incorrect. Should be -0500, not -0000.

-0500 is Eastern US/Canada time. -0000 is British time.

A server at Syracuse University in NY is listed in the path. That server is a mail exchanger for Syracuse U. It does not respond to external NNTP requests, but may have NNTP capability within SU's network.

The NNTP Posting Host IP address (the actual machine from which the message was supposedly sent) is given as 142.76.1.62.

A whois shows that address to belong to Sunnybrook Womens' Hospital in Toronto, Ontario.

It is impossible to say with certainty where that message came from.

Reply to
Tegger®

How has the condensor failed? Normally condensors fail because they get hit by something like a rock flying up off a truck or similar. If this is the case then you can't really blame Toyota.

The receiver should be replaced any time the system is opened. The receiver also serves the purpose of dryer. If the dryer gets saturated you can have moisture freeze in the system and stop cooling. Moisture will also react with the oil in the system and create compressor killing sludge. If you found an a/c shop that said they didn't need to replace it I would keep shopping for a/c shops.

Steve B.

Reply to
Steve B.

Yup. After my last post, I did some sleuthing myself.

It's a troll. Nothing more.

I hope Chrysler isn't paying this shill too much. He isn't very good at what he does.

------------------------------------------------- "I wish they had a delete button on Lexis-Nexis." - John F. Kerry

Reply to
Eric Dreher

this is corny but -- My first Toyaot was a 78 Tercel basic model . It was an eye opener to one used to Detroit vehicles. From that vehicle I was hooked. My latest is a 91 Camry 4cyl. It was delivered without blemish or fault and has never been to a mechanic for anything. Of course I replace expendables but only tires, batteries plugs and filters. Also the vehicle came with oil changes and same-time washes for life included in the price $13,500.

The car runs like the day I drove it out of the dealership. The water beads up when it is wet and it shines and looks like new. It has only rarely delivered less than 27 mph in town, the figure given for country driving. In the country it delivers 30-34 mpg.

Detroit STILL can't come close though I wonder of the proper word is "can't" or "won't."

Our focus in this country seems to have gone from building better mouse traps to foreign wars under the quise of "defense." I don't know if it is too late for us to get back to our roots when we were a model nation but .... Blue

Reply to
Blue

I think you missed the point he was trying to make, that is he believes Toyotas are good enough that they could offer a 100K warranty. Makes sense to me, any manufacture that is willing to give a longer warranty must believe that their products will meet the task. No manufacture is in business to lose money on warranty work. After all many manufactures luxury brands offer higher warranties than on their lessor models even though they are the same basic vehicle, like those of Honda and Toyota and Nissan. Personally we see lots of Focus' Hyundai's and Corollas in courier service easily running over 100K, in less than a year, that have proven to be trouble free with few warranty claims.

mike hunt

"Philip" wrote:

Reply to
IleneDover