SHO fuel economy

I recently bought a '92 SHO in pristine (almost) condition with 62,000 miles on it. While it runs very well my mileage is around 17mpg as opposed to the

25-27mpg I've heard other owners report. The mileage is pretty consistent whether I drive it hard or conservatively. There's a fresh air cleaner in it and the cats aren't clogged. Any ideas?

JD

Reply to
JD

FYI

1994 24.5 MPG

Reply to
Joe Camel Toe

So far, your's is the lowest (besides mine) I've heard. The guy I bought it from did the 60k service himself and the thought just crossed my mind as to whether having the valve timing off by 1 or 2 teeth may cause the car to get poor mileage while still running strong.

JD

Reply to
JD

Is the engine warming up properly?

Have you checked the coolant temperature sensor circuit? Dirty contacts on it won't set off an engine code but will zap your gas mileage.

Reply to
Childfree Scott

It's warming properly. The contacts may be the culprit since the guy I bought it from put some kind of sealer in the radiator to keep it from leaking long enough to sell it. I'll bet the sensor got goobered up with sealer. Thanks.

JD

Reply to
JD

While it's true the sensor end could be dirty, it is very common for the electrical connector end and the wiring harness piece to also get corroded. As long as you are removing it, clean both ends and the wiring harness piece.

Reply to
Childfree Scott