starter solenoid

I have a 1990 ford t-bird. I recently had to replace the alternator and battery due to a fire. I have been able to get the car running again but the battery charging light comes on and stays on, indicating the battery is not charging. I took the car in and had it checked and was told there was a short in the battery wires (the large black ones that go from the solenoid to the alternator). I traced back the wiring and could not find a short. I changed out the connectors and still have the same problem. I have power to the solenoid at the positive battery terminal, but none coming out the starter side, yet the car starts. Is there a problem with the solenoid that is not allowing the battery to charge and the alternator to get power? or anyone have any suggestions? BTW I have checked all fuses and relays and they all appear to be good.

Reply to
tjjensen

Not likely. The solenoid ONLY passes power when the key is in the start position. You need to check the large wire from the alternator to the positive side of the battery. If it's good, the alternator is not charging for a different reason. Defective alternator or something wrong with the control circuit. Lots of Fords had a problem connector where the large wire connects to the alternator. There is a kit to replace the push on connector and a crimp connector to splice the original wire.

Al

Reply to
Big Al

Ok, my next question, can you tell me how the wires connect to the solenoid. Currently they are like this. The wire to the starter, the battery power wires to the alternator, and a small yellow and white striped wire, which also goes to the small alternator connector, are on the negative (powerless) side of the solenoid. The positive cable from the battery and another large wire, which leads into the wiring harness, are on the positive, (powered) side of the solenoid. Is this correct wiring connections?

Reply to
tjjensen via CarKB.com