Taurus wagon ABS rear caliper

Decided to do the brakes on the wife's '00 Taurus wagon. I know, big mistake. In any event, having a hard time getting the piston spun in to allow enough clearance for the new pads to fit. Got them in there, but there isn't enough clearance, hub binds. The piston doesn't want to spin in, wondering if the parking brake cable has to be unhooked from the caliper? Any other sage advice, shortcuts for this job? Seriously considering investing in a proper tool also, the $9 6 way adaptor that goes on a 3/8" extension works for shit, real PITA. Thanks in advance.

John Cairns

Reply to
John Cairns

I always did... it shouldnt make a difference but, IIRC, the book said to disconnect it.

And that's what I found as well, I resorted to long-nose pliers, of all things.

The real shortcut is to get rebuilt calipers. Difficulty retracting means the same thing there as on the front... contamination quite possible.

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

I have seen people take the rotor off and reinstall the caliper back so they could apply more force

Reply to
johanb

I found a "proper" tool for the job locally, and will try removing the parking brake cable from the bracket also, which backyard mechanic suggested..

John Cairns

Reply to
John Cairns

Thanks for posting that!

And the same tool is $35 at autozone... bonus is you can take it back for Credit Card refund when you're done with it

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

I just had the same experience with my wife's 97 Taurus, also a wagon. The Auto-Zone multifit POS has the wrong ends to fit the associated V shaped guides, the V's face 180 degrees from where Ford put the cuts. I called the guy who taught me what I know about working on vehicles, and he says that with the proper 'spinner' the cable doesn't need removed. The bigger problem I ran into today is that while trying to squeeze the park brake tab/spring to reinsert the cable end, the spring popped off and now I can't get it back in place. I have a local Harbor Freight shop to stop in at, so thanks for that lead... I'll probably just buy it for the next time, I plan on keeping this car for quite a while.

Reply to
Eric G

just changed the brakes on my 98, had to disconnect the parking brake also loosen the bleeding screw if using long nose needle pliers to spin it.

Reply to
paul1958