95 Taurus wagon rear alignment

Took my wagon in with bad wear on inside of rear tires. Mechanic would be willing to take my money but spent all morning checking condition of components, everything looks fine. Says he can find no specs whatsoever for adjusting the rear end. They are a small to medium, quite up to date tire and alignment shop. Says he has never seen anything like this (missing specs). They're usually really good. Should I just call around? My fear is that someone will tell me "sure I can do that" and not have any better information, leading me to pay for something done poorly.

Reply to
dshimer

From memory.... total rear toe about 0.10 degrees split roughly even side for side.... even with aftermarket rear camber kits, these things can rarely be nursed into anything better than about 0.50 degrees negative camber.

HTH

Reply to
Jim Warman

Why, that is very kind of you.... I am quite happy that you have gone out of YOUR way to thank me for my time.... This is what makes me want to continue freely dispensing information you would have to pay for......

FWIW, I have to wonder about "spent all morning checking components".... if stuff is loose, an alignment is not going to be accurate.... Then again, you Yanks will let anyone with a hammer and a visegrip call himself a "tech".

All things being equal, would you rather pay someone ten bucks an hour or pay someone thirty bucks an hour (I'm not talking "door" rate here) to work on your car???

Reply to
Jim Warman

wrote

Took me about 17 seconds to find the specs, but I already have the site in my Favorites, so....

Suspension & Steeringclick Specification Chartsclick the second pictureRear camber: 1.90neg-0.10pos preferred: .90negRear toe-in: .06"pos

Reply to
MasterBlaster

I had an '86 Taurus wagon from new, and when the rear tires started getting chewed up sometime in '90, I took it to my usual tire & alignment place. They referred me to a Ford dealer 20 miles away that installed a factory kit that allowed for alignment adjustment on the rear, and then the dealer did a 4-wheel alignment.

Reply to
Sharon K. Cooke