Used Crown Vic Reliability

Hi,

I have an old 85 Chevy Caprice right now, and am thinking of getting a newer Caprice, or a 1992 and newer Crown Vic.

The Caprice was reliable, but is leaking too much from too many places with 361K on her. Lots of bucks to six the leaks.

How are CV's for reliability ? I heard about trans problems with them, and difficult, expensive heater core replacement. I replaced the htr core on my Caprice myself, free labor.

And how is the acceleration with that "small" 4.6 liter V8 ?

Not too may Caprices for sale, but lots of CV's.

Thanks,

Lecher9000

Well, you asked for opinions here, so IMO:

The Ford CV is a very solid car. Get one that is in good condition, maintain it, and it should serve you well. The air suspension option improves the ride quality by leaps and bounds, but expect to spend more maintaining an air suspension equipped car. The ongoing expense is worth it to me, but to each his own. Also, I avoid the police interceptors and look for the retired guy's creme puff.

Acceleration is good for such a large car, and you can tow a decent sized trailer. Beats the hell out of my old Honda Civic DX, which would slow down if I had a fat passenger. The 4.6L is far stronger than the older

5.0L, but I like both engines. Google for the specs.

Also consider the Grand Marquis and Town Car. All are great bargains when used. Good luck.

Rock

The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! >100,000Newsgroups

Rock