Lookin' for some rrrrrrrrumble from 4.6L Crown Vic

Hey there!

I've got a '92 Crown Vic with the 4.6 and I want some nice growl out of 'er without going overboard.

What I've been told is that the best, purest, rawest (and cheapest) thing to do is to just have straight pipes from the catalytics back. What I've got now is how it came: 4 cats on 2 pipes, Y-pipe, then a muffler and tailpipe. It won't cost much to get rid of that Y and muffler and just go straight back from both sets of cats with an H-pipe up front.

My one buddy has a '91 5.0 Mustang with true duals, and it sounds great. Another buddy has a '96 Cougar that wasn't set up for true duals - he's got a Y-pipe, then one pipe to the back, followed by another Y to give him duals at the back, but it's not duals all the way the Mustang is from front to back. The Coug sounds ok, but nowhere near what that Mustang sounds like.

I want to know how much of that has to do with the engine and how much has to do with the exhaust setup because I've got the 4.6 like the Coug, but I'll have true duals like the 'Stang. Is it reasonable to assume my 'Vic will sound somewhere between the Coug and the Stang? I know I'll never sound as awesome as that Stang, but I wanna sound closer to it than the Couger.

Thanks guys

Greg

Reply to
Gregoire

it's all in the mufflers.

Reply to
Tom

Here is the Walker/Thrush/DynoMax H-pipe back parts list for you:

Just sub in the corresponding DynoMax muffler for the L & R units, or the SuperTurbo 17736 for a little rrrrrap.

Rob

Reply to
trainfan1

i had a 90 taurus, it had some air intake system, first ran into a box, then made some s curves to the fender, was great for making a nice quiet family car. removed all that and ran some abs from the home depot straight into the fender with a K&N sitting behind the headlight, was still quiet at idle but get on the gas some and the engine had a nice growl to it. maybe your crown vic has this same intake muffler system on it. I'd also visit the local salvage yard and see if they have any police package vics, see if their exhaust differs any than yours, might be an easy install if so.

Reply to
petebert

Lookin' for some rrrrrrrrumble from 4.6L Crown Vic Group: alt.autos.ford Date: Thu, Aug 10, 2006, 10:06am (EDT-3) From: snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Gregoire) Hey there! I've got a '92 Crown Vic with the 4.6 and I want some nice growl out of 'er without going overboard. What I've been told is that the best, purest, rawest (and cheapest) thing to do is to just have straight pipes from the catalytics back. What I've got now is how it came: 4 cats on 2 pipes, Y-pipe, then a muffler and tailpipe. It won't cost much to get rid of that Y and muffler and just go straight back from both sets of cats with an H-pipe up front. My one buddy has a '91 5.0 Mustang with true duals, and it sounds great. Another buddy has a '96 Cougar that wasn't set up for true duals - he's got a Y-pipe, then one pipe to the back, followed by another Y to give him duals at the back, but it's not duals all the way the Mustang is from front to back. The Coug sounds ok, but nowhere near what that Mustang sounds like. I want to know how much of that has to do with the engine and how much has to do with the exhaust setup because I've got the 4.6 like the Coug, but I'll have true duals like the 'Stang. Is it reasonable to assume my 'Vic will sound somewhere between the Coug and the Stang? I know I'll never sound as awesome as that Stang, but I wanna sound closer to it than the Couger. Thanks guys Greg

Reply to
Eric Toline