Windstar Trailer Wiring

hi guys
found this group a while ago, and have been lurking.i finally have a question.
I plan on putting a trailer hitch on my 2000 Ford Windstar SEL.
After looking around on the net I have seen on a couple of different websites something to the effect that the windstar uses multiplex wiring for the tail/stop/signal lights.
Is this true? If so does this mean that I cant use a universal type wiring kit to wire for my trailer. Would it be a bad thing to splice the wires to join in the universal type wiring. Any detrimental effects? Any advice/input is appreciated. Justin

Why don't you just go to an RV dealer and get the adapter made for the Windstar and just plug it in - job done right! I have neve been a fan of splicing wiring for a trailer connect if you can get the proper adapters - forget it! Even the people who think they know what they are doing can screw it up and burn down your vehicle or end up with trailer lights that don't work right. The adapters are quick, clean, reliable and safe. Last I looked, the Windstar adapter was about $30 at Northern Equipment. You can probably find it cheaper on the net with a little Google searching - no splicing.
Good luck Lugnut