2002 Ford Focus SE - intermittent sputtering

The recalls I've seen for the fuel pump and other items are for the models prior to 2002. Yet, I have the same exact intermittent sputtering problem mentioned in the recalls, but I have a 2002 that was built in 2002, and Ford is telling the world that the problems were solved in the 2002 models.

My car can go days without any problems, and then the problem shows up, and it can go away or get much worse.

It happens when I accelerate. I have a loss of power and then the surge from when it stops sputtering. It idles just fine.

Here is a list I copied from another discussion forum with some enhancements of things to replace or check.

  1. Pieces of the plastic fuel tank come off and clog the filter -- clean the tank
  2. Fuel Pump - replace
  3. Fuel Filter - replace
  4. Plugs and Wires - replace
  5. EGR Valve - replace
  6. DPFE Sensor
  7. Ignition Coil - replace
  8. Plug going to the coil pack - replace

Question: Does anyone have any suggestion on which one to try first? Or any particular ordering?

Reply to
Frank Lopez

"Frank Lopez" wrote

This sounds like bad gas, not a mechanical problem. Specifically, water in the gas. You don't say where you live, but around here you can buy gas-line antifreeze (alcohol and other additives) to remove it. Alternately, you could try a tank of gas/alcohol blend if that's available in your area.

Good luck.

Reply to
Dave Gower