Engine computer upgrade

Has anyone installed an aftermarket replacement for the computer?

Did you get one for better performance or better MPG? What were the results of the upgrade? Which product did you get and what was the price?

Reply to
john czarnuszewicz

My 00 1.8 is chipped using an off the shelf Superchip. It improves drivability alot more than making outright power, although the car now feels alot faster, but isnt really..-

Torque is better at sub 2000rpm speeds, and the dip at 3000rpm is improved too. The real benefit is where the standard car runs out of puff at about

5200rpm, it now pulls alot harder to 6000rpm- handy for overtaking.

MPG used to be around 32-33mpg, I now get 34-36mpg with the same driving.

Rolling road tests before showed 114bhp stock (as quoted) and 126 after- it will happily keep up with the 2 litre now.

Was £400 fitted with 2 rolling road runs.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim (Remove NOSPAM.

In message , "Tim (Remove NOSPAM." writes

Did you declare it to your insurance company and if so, what was the extra cost?

Reply to
Paul Giverin

Don't you have to put in premium gas as well when you chip your vehicle? Me thinks the more expensive gasoline would offset the better gas mileage in terms of money savings.

Mojo

Reply to
Mojo JoJo

Reply to
steve robinson

Our standard 'gas' is 95 octane- which it runs fine on. Does feel alittle more lively on Optimax 9 98 octane) but I usually dont bother.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim (Remove NOSPAM.

When comparing 'gas' to 'petrol' one has to remember that USA octane numbers are calculated as the average of the Research and Motor Octane Numbers (MON), while the UK uses the Research Octane Number (RON).

RON is higher, do a google search for more info.

Reply to
Mark Olson

Fascinating tidbit to learn. Learned something new :-)

Mojo

Reply to
Mojo JoJo