Focus - Any Good

I have just traded my peugeot 306 gti-6 in for a Focus TDCi zetec diesel, is there anything I need to know about the focus, i.e any good, bad points about it, anything you would suggest i upgrade, or change.

Cheers

Reply to
Brett

I don't want to sound funny, but shouldn't you have asked this before you traded it in?

All-in-all, I've been very happy with my 2000 Focus 2.0 Ghia. The brakes wear quickly, but that seems to be common for cars these days, and I had to have a new rear wheel bearing at 50k miles. Oh, and new tie-rods front and back. Basically, excluding servicing, fluid changes, tyres etc, about £500 worth of repairs after 50k, which isn't exactly bad.

JW

Reply to
Dublevay

If you read this group you will see that:

Sometimes they won't start

Sometimes they misfire a bit

Sometimes the battery will drain if left unused for a couple of weeks

Sometimes they leak water in the front footwells

Sometimes they rust a bit around the edges

Sometimes the Aircon can take a noticeable amount of power from the engine

Sometimes the gauges can give false readings

Sometimes the smell of exhaust fumes can be detected in the cabin

If you keep your eye on all of the above you should not be caught out.

Reply to
Listen

EGR valves dont last very long before they start to leak and you loose power/stalling/poor low speed running, and make sure you have the latest software installed that's available.

Fuel gauges sometimes lie, the passenger footwell will get wet if the pollen filter cover isnt put back properly or doesnt seal (5mins with silicone gun)

On the mk2's thats really about it. The rear wheel bearing problem has been fixed, brakes last as long as anyone elses, the rusty tailgate syndrome is fixed- but check very carefully around the glass, and either end of the plastic trim above the number plate for bubbling and take it to the dealer if you spot any.

If you are planning to keep the car for some while, the now-metal sills (which were plastic on the mk1) get stone chipped at the front edge and at a point where the rear door shuts from crap thrown up from the front wheels and then rust. Front mudflaps prevent this.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim (Remove NOSPAM.
  1. If it goes wrong it will be cheaper to fix
  2. Lower insurance
  3. Brakes are crap
  4. Tyres can wear out quick
  5. Good handling
  6. Better build than a pug 306
  7. Road noise can be high
  8. Its a good car, have fun
Reply to
UFO

Yes.

No more crap than anything else. I drive mine briskly but am on original non warped discs, 2nd set of pads at 55k miles.

Nope- 25k per set.

That wouldnt be hard...

Yes, depends on wheel size, quality of tyre.

Undoubtedly.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim (Remove NOSPAM.

Haha you have never driven a 306 dturbo, that could monster a set in the journey back from kwik fit

Have to disagree with this point completly, i have gone from a 306 dturbo to a focus tddi, this focus is like steering a ship compared to my 306. it all sits a bit too high off the road in my opinion.

I dunno about this one, allready i am getting creaks and rattles in my x reg focus (especially around the drivers front wheel suspension which i am a little concerned about), i had absolutly no problem with my R reg 306

Plus my 306 saved my life in a 45mph impact into a parked flatbed lorry, (sunblinded in a bend, didnt even see the guy, didnt brake at all, came to a dead stiop in about a millisecond, no broken bones, legs still attached to body) so i have to show a lot of respect to the build of my pug.

I think this is where the focus wins, waaaaay quiter at 90mph

Reply to
adcb

The main reason why I want to trade my Pug in is that the clutch is really heavy, which is down to the fact that it's pretty quick, and I love the car to bits but I've had it 3 years so I thought I'd get shot, can't grumble about it though as it has given me loads and loads of fun, which brings me to the focus, I wanted an A3 TDI, but the cost £20k, so I thought sod that, and the guy offered me a TDCI with leather and a 6 disc changer for £12k with 7K on the clock and a good trade in for mine, I just hope that when I get it, I like driving it as much as the pug

Cheers for all your advice guys.....

Reply to
Brett

The only thing that bugs me about my TDCi is the curious power development down low. It's quite easy to stall the car, and I am not a poor driver. Other than that, the dynamics of the car are great.

Stephen

------------ And now a word from our sponsor ------------------ For a quality usenet news server, try DNEWS, easy to install, fast, efficient and reliable. For home servers or carrier class installations with millions of users it will allow you to grow!

---- See

----

Reply to
Stephen F.