Is Magnatec any good?

It's about time for the next service and I was wondering if there is any real benefit to using Castrol GTD Magnatec instead of the Castrol GTD I used last time around. I know what it is supposed to do and it all sounds very nice, but does it actually make any difference and is it worth the extra money? If anyone has any other recommendations I would be interested to know.

It's for an N reg Peugeot 306 DTurbo if it makes any difference and I'm doing mostly short journeys from cold at the moment.

Thanks,

Shaun

Reply to
Shaun

No, you'd be better off buying the cheapest oil you can that matches the manufacturers recommended specs and changing the oil and filter more often.

Reply to
James Grabowski

Magnatec is the only oil I ever used in my Mk5 RS2000 that made it tappety, Shell Helix+ Semi Synthetic is my oil of choice.

Pete M

Reply to
Pete M

I've only tried it once, in the escort TD. It sounded much more catastophic than normal on cold mornings. After that I went back to Ford branded oil (cheaper than magnatec) and it was fine again.

If I were Shaun I'd use Peugeot own brand, whatever grade they recommend.

The Dervboy

Reply to
DervBoy

catastophic

I don't think I'll be trying Magnatec then! The idea of paying extra for my engine to sound tappety or catastrophic doesn't seem particularly tempting. Thanks for your help everyone.

Shaun

Reply to
Shaun