heated windscreen

Hi,

Do all Ford Focuses have heated windscreens? I'm wondering if I could get one without it.

Thanks,

Jen

Reply to
jclark

I believe it is only the top end models that have them. By all account they are real battery flatteners.

Reply to
Delboy

On early cars they were part of one of the add-on packs on all models so it would be a lottery whether one was fitted or not. Later cars all seem to have them.

Perhaps you could explain why you wouldn't want one? That way, someone might be able to put your mind at rest.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

No, they have been fitted to various models. (See previous post).

Although they take a lot of current, they are not "battery flatteners" at all. My 1999 1.8 LX has a HFS which I use often. It has covered 78K miles. It has the original battery which has *never* gone flat.

The screen can only be switched on when the engine is actually running, not just with the ignition on. The ECU raises the idle speed slightly to keep the alternator output high. The ECU turns the screen off after a few minutes operation.

It could be argued that frequent use might very marginally reduce the life of the alternator and drive belt, but no more than parking with the lights on, doing lots of short trips, parking with the radio on etc. Overall, I can't imagine why anyone would *not* want one.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

It is without a doubt the best single option you can select for a car, if you live anywhere with an inclement winter. Seriously. Vision is everything, both for safety and convenience. I hate having to go back to a conventional car in the winter.

Reply to
Stephen F.

Yep. I would not buy another car without a HFS. That appears to limit me to Ford, but that's what I would buy anyway :-)

I'm intrigued why the OP appears to want a car without one.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

GM/Opel/Vauxhall had an optional screen a few years back (recognizable by the gold colour, as it was a thin film rather than individual heating wires)

Stephen

Reply to
Stephen F.

I didn't know that. How effective was it?

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

I just got the Jan 2004 specifications book in the post and it seems that heated windscreens were standard on all but the CL. Thought you might like to know.

I'm interested in getting a car without heated screen since we hardly ever get frost here and I really really like to have nothing impede my view. I know the screen heater is barely visible and all that, but I just wondered if I had the option.

All the comments have been very helpful.

Thanks,

Jen

Reply to
jclark

In message , jclark wrote

You will need it for other reasons,- the Focus windows do seem to mist up badly at any slight excuse. Having A/C or the heated front screen clears the mist quickly.

Reply to
Alan

Hi again,

I just had another look at that book and it seems as if the zetec does not have heated windscreens unless you get the 2.0L. I hadn't spotted that before.

Also if you want to have a car that comes with airconditioning as standard then it also comes with heated windscreen as standard. I'm really keen to have airconditioning since it's really incredibly hot here for about 4 months of the year.

It seems from this book as if the only way to get airconditioning and no heated windscreen is to have either is to get a CL or Zetec and get the airconditioning as an optional extra. So there you are.

Not that I'm dead set against heated windscreens or anything. I just wondered if there was that option.

Jen

Reply to
jclark

In message , jclark wrote

I have a 2001 Zetec 1.6 with a heated front screen and A/C.

Reply to
Alan

In alt.autos.ford.focus Alan :

Sometimes you need both, thought that only the early models would have the problem, like mine (1999)? OK, even after retrofitting the parts Ford changed after some time to solve the problem, things have improved, yes but sometimes you are lucky to have the heated front screen and the A/C. A/C will be switch on without the control light turned on, as soon as you turn heating into the defrost position.

This and a few other minor problems are the only "trouble" with my Focus, you wonder how long Ford does manufacture cars? Something like this shouldn't happen. And none of the other Fords owned by me had those problems.

Reply to
Michael Heiming