multiple problems 2000 focus wagons

Focus wagons are under 40 k miles.

On wagon #1 The power locks totally quit. The cigarette lighter has no power. The ignition key wouldn't come out of the ignition switch so I tried everything tapping moving stearing wheel & shifter. Eventually I used brute force and pulled it out. Now the car beeps as though the key is still in the ignition switch when I open the door.

The dome lights won't light at all on both cars with the drivers door open and the bulbs are OK. On one car the light worked once 2 weeks ago and again died.

Both cars won't go in the snow, they sat out the winter in the driveway. Lucky I also have a Jeep.

All problems happened independent of each other.

EX Escort owner. It was a better car. NO PROBLEMS AT ALL Please help.

Reply to
2 focus driver

I had that happen on my 2001 Wagon. It was still under warranty. I told them it was related to the shifter. They first replaced the ignition switch. Didn't help. They kept saying the couldn't duplicate it but then, when the car was being moved by a mechanic while fixing a emission sensor, he got the keys stuck. Then they replaced the shifter.

Reply to
Tony Wesley

Was that a manual or an automatic?

--Mike

Reply to
Mike S.

If you bought the wagon in the US in 2000 it was an automatic - there were no options otherwise that year. As far as the shifter when the transmission doesn't lock the keys will not come out. The tranny must lock - when cold it's a major problem. Brute force was not necc. that just made the problem worse. I had to push the car a little to get the trans. to lock or just leave the keys in...as in please steal this car. I sold the car and got a 2003 ZX5 that I love. As far as the car not going in snow it needs snow tires. I'm getting studded tires this year as I should have with the wagon but they ran out of snow tires last year. But there are good tires out there...Linda

Reply to
HbgpodLW

An automatic.

I could move the shifter and it didn't help. I needed to restart the car, move it forward or back a little and put it back in park. And then the keys would come out. Usually.

Reply to
Tony Wesley

"2 focus driver" wrote

Did you check the fuse?

Try another lighter?

Bad ignition switches are a known defect on year 2000 Focuses. Mine went recently. It costs a couple hundred $ to fix, and only the dealer can do it because they have to set the key tooth pattern.

Did you set the switch above the windshield? Once I discovered that mine have worked flawlessly.

Do you mean they won't start, or have no traction after they get going? If the former that's real wierd because my 2000 SPI wagon starts great in winter. If the latter, get 4 winter tires.

The first year of production of a new model is often less reliable than the last years of an older model. Otherwise, the Focus is far better than the Escort in handling, room, ergonomics, controls, etc.

Reply to
Dave Gower