New Focus Owner - Advice Please

Hello

I have just purchased a low miles 2002 Ford Focus SE sedan in Canada. It has the 2.0L ztec and an automatic transmission. I would have preferred a manual hatchback, but I got a great deal I just couldn't pass on.

Having driven it around for a few days I am extremely satisfied with the car's handling and comfort. I just wish it had a little more punch. I am not a mechanic and I am hoping you experts could offer me some cost effective ideas to up the performance a bit of this otherwise very nice machine.

Thank you in advance.

Reply to
Anne

TroY

"Anne" wrote

Before you do any "mods" make sure all the regular stuff is up to spec, particularly clean air filter and no blockage of the exhaust. Most people find the Focus has plenty of pep.

Reply to
Dave Gower

Thanks guys.

Dave, I did get it thoroughly checked out and tuned up by a Ford dealer. It seems to be running up to spec. Don't get me wrong...it definitely has pep, but more can't hurt right? ;-)

Troy, thanks for the suggestions....can you give me a ballpark on what a cold air intake (I don't even know what that is :-)) and premium exhaust might cost and how many horsepower that could add? By the way, thanks for the links....lots of interesting stuff there to keep me reading for a while.

Reply to
Anne

Anne here is a link to a cold air intake system.. it replaces the stock air filter and hose. it allows more air to flow to the engine.

exhaust can cost from $250 and up.. there are a bunch of goot cat-back systems on the market.
good luck

troy

this place always has good prices

TroY

It was 16 centigrades below this morning, and I didn't feel a lot more pep from that cold air. : -) /per

"TroY" skrev i meddelandet news: snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com...

per

Here's my advice: Ignore the "Long Term Focus Report (My own)" post and enjoy your focus.

Reply to
John Doe

Oh and BTW, There's really only so much, how you say, "punch" that can be squeezed out of a 2.0L motor short of ramming air down it's throat with turbo or an air pump. This may sound typically 'American', but bigger is better if you want 'punch'. More cylinders has always given me more passing confidence, especially at higher speeds. A buddy of mine once left a 1967 (350) Corvette in my drive for me to keep an eye on while he went to 'find himself' on a cross-country trip for a few months. I would take it out on Sunday afternoons. After that all cars just seem underpowered. But then I'm usually just going to work, waiting in line for the red lights. :-[ John

Reply to
John Doe