Re: Focus wagon +/-

"Renee Clark" wrote

If you own one, would you buy it again?

I do and I would. My 2000 SPI wagon is still the most enjoyable car I've owned in 45 years of driving. 2001s are even better, 2002s better yet. Mine's a 5-speed, so has plenty of pep, but I have read that some people find the SPI wagon with auto somewhat sluggish. I think it's significant that in the U.S. you can only get a wagon with the Zetec.

Welcome aboard and enjoy. I recommend the on-line Auto Trader as a good research tool for price etc.

Reply to
Dave Gower

I honestly don't know - but since I bought it in PA. probably not...I'll have to check and get back to you. Linda

Reply to
HbgpodLW

top end is 106 mph (if only because the engine computer governs that fact)

Canadian models have a 220kph speedometer -- what a laugh, considering the speed is governed to 171kph.

My '88 Mustang was different though, I buried the 220+ kph needle a couple of times (just to check it out mind you :-) Trying to find a stretch of DECENT road that you can leg out without attracting attention is a little tough.... A friend of mine has a '86 Porsche 928 - straight ahead performance is (was) similar although his car far out handled the 'stang.

Reply to
Roarmeister

I have a ZX3 for over 3 rears now with no problems other than the recalls with two more left to fix! I'm very happy with it. I'd like a bit more room in the rear, so I may consider getting the wagon. I would only get the heavier wagon with the up and coming 2.3L 148hp Duratec engine because of the extra weight over the ZX3. The extra 18 horses over the zetec, higher and broader torque curve (so they say it will have) will improve low rpm response. Hell, it may give the SVT focus a run for its money until the SVT get wound up! J

Reply to
jriegle

An alu block could have wet iron linings, dry iron linings, hard cromium plated cylinders or high silica alu where the pistons move. Each will have their own plusses and minuses. Also, the pistons and the cylinder heads are almost always made from aluminum. And the alu block will expand more like them when getting warm. Renaults from the swinging sixties had wet cylinder linings in their alu blocks and those were prone to work loose, but nowadays I hear of no such problems. Iron blocks are also known to give quiter running, but the smaller alu Zetecs are quiter than the 2 litre iron zetec. The real reason to use alu is the weight issue which affects the fuel consumption issue. I would not worry. There's no way to state in a thick headed manner that iron blocks are quiter, lasts longer and give less fuel consumption or are hard started when cold. There are way too many other uncontrollable factors involved. I live in cold Sweden and have not heard about any "hard to start" phenomenom with alu blocks. With a synthetic motor oil (the original Ford

5W30 or 5W20 oil is not all bad for cold winter starting either) and a good battery, the car can be expected to start down to -30 centigrades at least. Otherwise the block heater will do it's stuff. /per

"Roarmeister" wrote news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

Reply to
per

Aluminum (Al) has a specific heat twice that of iron. This means it takes twice the energy input to raise Al's temp by the same amount of the same volume of material. Al blocks will use more material to strengthen them as compared to iron blocks. In fact, the Duratec engine is said to weigh less than the Zetec, but by only 50 lbs. even though iron is three times as dense as Al. Because there is more material that has a higher specific heat, it will likely warm up and cool down slower than an iron block even though this is offset somewhat by Als higher thermoconductivity.

Thermoexpansion is a concern, but good design will eliminate problems. Al engines have been around for a long time. Even iron blocks with Al heads have been successfully implemented, but there used to be problems with this in some cars (some GM V8s as I recall).

Unless Ford really screws something up, The Duratec engine will be a godsend for Focus enthusiast who find the Zetec weak in the lower rpms and slow compared to many of the newer cars.

While some people find the SPI engine to be suitable, I find the Zetec weak in the low rpms and sluggish in the lower rpm range with the AC running. The Zetec pulls well at higher rpms but as I said, It is being surpassed by the stronger engines in many new cars.

The Duratec is a welcome edition in my book. Ford, lets not screw this up!

jriegle