thoughts on Jetta Wagon Diesel??

I'm seriously considering a new ('03 or '04) Jetta Wagon diesel. Many comments here and elsewhere suggest the German built Wagon is better (made) than the Jetta or Golf. Irregardless of that, I'm wondering what everyone has to say about the diesel engine in particular. I've never owned one and would like to hear your comments.

Are repairs more/less frequent than a gas engine? Do they cost more? Et cetera.

Thanks for your input!

Reply to
Wendy A

I've owned 12 or so VW diesels starting way back in 1978. The current crop of VW tdi diesels are fantastic! Plernty of power, driving and starting them is a "no brainer". They are fantastic, 108k miles, 48 overal mpg.

Other then the timing belt that's now rated for 100k miles, they require only simple upkeep. Fuel and air filters every 20k, if memory serves me and maybe 25k, synthetic oil and filter every 10k. The MAF, (mass air flow sensor) go bad for some people but a good one from a Mercedes works fine and is much better built and should last longer, my first one lasted 50k. Other then that everything else is like a gasser. As far as quality goes I have a early 99.5 "new" jetta and am very happy with the quality of the build.

Joe R

Reply to
Joe R

I have a 99.5 Golf TDI, German built BTW, and she is SOLID, no sqeaks anywhere. Timing belt, waterpump at 60K Kms. MAF sensor, but they have probably fixed the manufacturing defect by now.

Friend of mine has a 2003 Golf TDI, and a 2003 Jetta Wagon TDI. The wagon IS nicer built then his brazilian Golf (his Golf squeaks).... Get that Jetta now

Reply to
Rob Guenther

particular. I've never owned one and would like to hear your comments.

Diesels have a few quirks. Except in winter they start instantly but on winter mornings (depending on the outside temp.) you may have to wait

3-10 sec before the glow plug light goes out and you can start.

They're noisy, but only OUTSIDE the car. Inside, on the road, they're no noisier than gas engines. They're not smelly these days, either.

The manual transmissions get 40-50 mpg or better. The automatics get

35-45. You find yourself not filling up for weeks.

They definitely need expensive synthetic oil changes every 10K but that cost is really minor, overall.

Acceleration, especially with the auto transmission, is deceptive. It can feel sluggish but, if you put your foot to the floor, the car will leap off the mark at stoplights and pass other cars very smartly.

It's generally true that TDIs need less repairs than gas engines but if it happens, certain ones can be very expensive, like injection pumps. But, since diesels have to made stronger than gas engines, anyway, they're more robust. For the record, I've now driven 54K in my 2002 TDI auto wagon with no repairs whatsoever. The brakes are still original and the mileage is still right on 45 on the highway, 40 in the country. Something will break sometime, I imagine, but so far it's been a great ride.

Hope this is useful.

Reply to
John Bevan

My 02 TDI sedan got squashed in the hurricane, so I'm anxiously waiting the arrival of the 04 Wagons. I've had zero problems with the engine; minor problems with brakes and window regulators. Very robust car, particularly the engine. Many users report mileage in excess of

300,000 miles with no major engine issues. I suggest browsing the tdiclub.com site for more in-depth info. VW diesel users are quite fanatical about their vehicles and that place is an excellent resource for information. If you're concerned about diesel emissions, Biodiesel (made from vegetable oils) is becoming more widely available. Check out biodieselnow.com.
Reply to
William

Not just any synthetic oil. Be sure the oil has the appropriate diesel ratings (VW 505.00, ACEA B3 or B4, or API CF-4 (not CF), CG-4, CH-4 or CI-4 for the 2003 US TDI engines; VW 505.01 for the 2004 US TDI engines).

Reply to
Timothy J. Lee

Put it this way... I'm a dealer tech and I'm still waiting for my 2004 Jetta TDI Wagon GLS to arrive. It has finally been built and is on a boat making the trip over at this very moment. My wife and I can't wait to get our hands on the car. I can see us taking mindless long and pointless road trips in it just because we can.

The 2004 TDIs have a better engine, a bit more powerful and from what I've been told, quiter as well. You do have to use a special oil in them though that for now is a dealer only item. I would guess that in a few months there will be more options on the market.

The 2003/2004 VWs have the window regulator problem resolved, and finally we get an indash CD player (about time). The one thing I wish is the center armrest was of the "Jumbo Box" design so I could install that 6 disc changer in there.... Hmmmm, wonder if I could fit it nicely in the glove box?

The best thing I can suggest is to go test drive one. If you drive a manual tranny, you will notice that the RPM range with power is pretty narrow, so in city traffic it doesn't perform as well as a gas engine. But get on the highway, run up to 80MPH and cruise all day long. If you make a lot of long trips, the TDI is a winner all the way.

Reply to
Pencilneck

This is simply not true. VW dealers sell Castrol Syntec for the TDIs, but this oil is not, in fact, a full synthetic oil like Mobil Delvac-1

5W-40 (currently the best around for TDIs). Delvac is available, as are Shell Rotella and Amsoil products. Don't depend too much, if at all, on a VW dealer for competent work on serious mechanical or engine issues.
Reply to
Ken Sternberg

What Ken says, simple IS true. The 2004 uses a new PD engine. Mobil Delvac

1, Shell Rotella and Amsoil do not meet specs for this engine, and the oil that does is only available at the dealer. (At least here in the US)

Thaddeus

Reply to
Thaddeus J. Bumwad

Ok, Thad, here's what a Canadian TDI enthusiast posted on tdiclub.com, and it appears to support my statement about Delvac-1:

"OK, I was gett Diesel engine: VW 505.00 (no typo) ACEA B3 or ACEA B4 API Service CF4 or API Service CG4

That's it. So, Delvac 1 WILL work. VW can't deny a warranty claim on an engine with this written in it.

It also says 5W-40."

Here's the link to the entire thread:

Ken Sternberg

I was wrong. The manual is probably in error on this point. I apologize.

Reply to
Ken Sternberg