04 Ranger Gas Mileage

When i first bought my 04 Ranger 4.0 4x4 auto, i was getting 25 mpg on the freeway, now at 12,000 mi i am only getting 18 mpg on the freeway. I am driving it the same way as when i got it. Any ideas?

Reply to
randy1128

Winter blend fuel? I would expect closer to 18 than 25 from that truck.

Reply to
JimV

An error in calculation? 25mpg form the 4L 4x4 would be incredible. John

Reply to
JohnR66

I know, but i swear thats what i was getting on the freeway, 25mpg. I also have a 99 GMC Sierra 1500 5.3 that will get up to 21mpg on the freeway, and 300HP to.

Reply to
randy1128

On Mon, 13 Feb 2006 21:41:48 -0800, randy1128 rearranged some electrons to form:

I know what the problem is... either you don't know how to do arithmethic, or your odometer is reading out in kilometers.

Reply to
David M

That must be it

Reply to
randy1128

A dirty air filter will kill milage. Check it lately?

Reply to
wolfpuppy

This was true for engines with carburetors, but not true for modern fuel injected vehicles. As far as the fuel injection system is concerned, a dirty air filter looks just like normal part throttle operation. A dirty air filter might limit your maximum power, but it is unlikely to significantly affect your mileage.

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

Not true. All cars, carbed or fuel injected, need air--that's why they all have air filters. When they get dirty, the engine simply has to work harder to run. You'll lose power and use more fuel if your air filter is too dirty. If that weren't the case, car makers would save a buck and not install them. I believe all cars are fuel injected now, and they all need clean air filters, period. Fuel injected engines are more efficient, I'll give you that, but they still require air to run.

Reply to
wolfpuppy