1997 F-150 - 4.2L V6 Losing Antifreeze

Greetings, My Ford F-150 pickup is losing antifreeze. I've been keeping a pretty close watch on it for the past four months and it's definitely losing coolant. I park in a garage all the time and there is never any evidence of a leak. I'm concerned that this might be a head-gasket leak. Are head-gasket leaks a common problem with this engine? Thanks, Don Rist

Reply to
Don R

losing it out of the recovery tank or out of the radiator? If it's out of the recovery tank it might be normal if the rate is slow. How's the oil look? No white foam on the filler cap?

Reply to
JimV

I checked the oil filler cap and there is some evidence of white or yellow globules forming in the tube going up to the cap. But I should make it clear that I don't get on the highway very often. Most of my driving is in-town 5 miles back and forth to work. I only drive it three or four times a week. The coolant recovery tank level keeps going down. About a quarter inch each week.

Reply to
Don R

Sounds like a head gasket to me.. Might be a very good idea to have a leakdown test performed to be sure. Should be pretty inexpensive. (free if you've got a compressor, the fittings to do the test and some time)

Reply to
invalid unparseable

I read something about Ford trucks throwing a piston rod. Had to do with antifreeze getting into the oil through a bad gasket. Check your oil level and make sure the oil level is not getting higher. You indicated that you don't see where the antifreeze is going. Good luck,

"The OTHER Kevin in San Diego" <skiddz "AT" adelphia "DOT" net> wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

Reply to
Larry Suddarth

Greetings,

My thanks to everyone for the replies. You've confirmed my suspicions about the head gasket leak. Will take it in for a check. Any idea what a head gasket replacement might cost in round numbers?

Regards, Don Rist

Reply to
Don R