1997 F140 4.6L Overheating Problem

My 1997 F150 is overheating.

This summer I changed my coolant (I hadn't done it in quite a while) The coolant appeared to be quite rusty and it took several flushes to get it to look normal.

About a week ago my truck overheated the first time. I thought that the thermostat was sticking, so I took it to a Rad shop had the system flushed again, thermostat replaced and heater core flushed.

On the way home from the shop it overheated again, They took another look at it and found the pressure had created a leak in an extremely rusted block heater, it was replaced.

It overheated again, they then did a test to see if the head gasket was leaking the test didn't confirm anything. They changed the water pump thinking that corrosion may have damaged the impeller.

Well the problem is still happening, it appears that when the motor cools down it is getting an air lock somehow in the system, when warmed up the temp gauge fluctuates in the normal range but will not produce good heat in the cab, after about 10 minutes the temp gauge spikes and the overheat light comes on. When I check the engine the upper rad hose is not pressurized, if you open the overflow bottle it releases the airlock and then the vehicle operates at normal temperature with great heat.

There isn't any coolant in the oil and it doesn't appear to show white smoke at start up or while running. With it overheating it always seems to loose a little at the overflow bottle so it is hard monitor coolant level from test drive to test drive.

Any help would be appreciated. What could be causing this air lock? Has anyone had head gasket problems I would hate to spend the money on this if I do not have to (estimated @16 hrs job) I have 260,000km (162,000 mi) This truck hasn't cost me a dime except for maintenance till now.

Reply to
TP

Sounds like you have an air bubble trapped in the cooling system. Try removing the rad cap and running the engine until the coolant boils. Then replace the cap, fill up the reservoir, and restart the vehicle. You might have to do this several time to get trapped air out of the system.

DaveD

Reply to
Dave and Trudy

I tend to agree with the air bubble/slug theory with the heater problem but I think they may have clutch fan problems that started this whole mess because the general problems tend to match this. THe bimetal coil that controls clutch fan operation ages with time and as it does it increases/raises engagement temps causing engine to overheat at time. You can replace clutch fan or do like I do if the clutch hub still has good bearings with little or no play and has not leaked fliud out of it you can tweak it back into normal operation. You will find instruction and how to do it at link below. I have been doing this for well over 20 years now and it works well and lets you fine tune it to your needs rather than replace it with a new one with a factory generic setting.

TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan