98 Camry Overheating

I have a 98 Toyota Camary that started overheating a few months ago. When it first started overheating I was about four hours home and I drove the whole way and it never actually overheated the gauge just said it was. So I thought that it was either the temp sensor or the thermostat. I replaced both of those and I also replaced the radiator. Once I start the car about 15 minutes later the gauge starts moving up and it fluctuates between normal and hot. I don't think I have a cracked head because if I did I don't think that it would overheat. Does anyone have any idea's of anything else that I should check? Any idea's would help.

Thanks

Reply to
bsmith95610

Do both fans work, are hoses new, Is it a toyota thermostat, is air removed from system, is antifreeze 50-50 mix. how old is water pump. Does water increase and decrease when cool in expansion tank, Is radiator cap old. if the gauge says you are overheating you probably are.

Reply to
ransley

Both fans do work. Hoses are not new. The thermostat is not from Toyota it is what Napa autoparts gave me for the model car I have. I don't know what you mean by is air removed from system. I am using a

50-50 mix. The water pump is old. Radiator cap is new.
Reply to
bsmith95610

Use Autozone's Loan-a-Tool program, check out the cooling system pressure tester:

I hope it's not a blown head gasket, it could give that symptom. Did you install the thermostat with the jiggle valve on the top side? Stant has more decent OEM style thermostats now, I might use it in the future but so far this is one maintenance item I still insist on dealer counter. Use 50%-50% distilled water and preferred Toyota Red.

Reply to
johngdole

Also, does the top hose get hot when the engine is?

Reply to
johngdole

I myself bought a aftermarket thermostat that never worked or sealed it was made smaller. Air is in the system unitl you bleed it or it works its way out. Temp moving up and down to me indicates a bad thermostat. Was the cooling system flushed. If you had a head leak you would loose coolant and often the oil goes milky in color. Bottom hoses can collaps if bad when hot.

Reply to
ransley