C6/auto question on the F150/250

I'm looking to sell my (manual) F150 and upgrade to a 250, only for payload reason, and yes, the other is for the extended cab. Manual's are hard to come by, so I might consider an automatic, but heard from "different" stories about Ford's transmission. Being a hard core Ford guy I'm heavly biased against my GM friends and co-workers, so I'd like to hear what the group has knowledge on the C6 (or C7??) transmission. I'm looking at 1994 thru 1997 on the F250, because I prefer the straight body. Also (I think) that's the last year Ford made the 300 (4.9L) in line six, although I'm going to have to settle on a 5.8L with the auto. I guess the 5.0L sorta a dog?

Karl in Spokane

Reply to
Karl Shoemaker

Sorry but you wont' find a c-6 on that new of a truck. (there was no c-7). What you will find is AOD, AODE, and E4OD. You will also find the 5.0 to be superior in many respects to the junky 5.8. I'm ashamed of what Ford did to that engine. You may not find a 250 with a 5.0 however. So you may wish to search out one with a 7.5. Since they ruined them with Fuel injection and all the BS, it'll take a 7.5 to have the same power the old 302's and 351's used to.

Reply to
Steve Barker

Steve, I have to ask what do you think is so different between the late model 5.0 and the 5.8 engines? I see two engines with almost identical design intentions, just tuned for a little different performance because of the longer stroke of the 5.8. The EFI systems are identical designs, again just tuned differently.

For a truck I favor the 5.8 (or I-6) because of the longer stroke and better low end torque. About the only thing that the 5.8 was missing was a roller cam, which they finally added a couple of years before they stopped production. Other than that I think they're both fine engines.

Sean

Reply to
Sean Conolly

I bought a 95 F250 HD with a C6 & the 7.5L. It had lots of power, but 9mpg is the cost for that power. Pat

Reply to
MTJeepers

All's I can tell you is I get sick of 'trying' to fix the inherent problems of the 5.8. It's rough idle Ford calls normal. It's lack of power. We have 2 of the junk bastards in my fleet of 35 and 10 302's. The 5.8's are constant sources of weird problems. Gutless pieces of shit as far as I'm concerned. Not to mention that in 1990 (my dad happens to have one that old) the towing rating was better with a 302 than it was with the 351. I'll chain the 5.0's up back to back with any 5.8 any day. We'll see who pulls who backwards.

Reply to
Steve Barker

Hey now! mines a 95 5.8 f250 reg cab 4X4 C6 and 3.55 gears. I actually got 12 mpg over the weekend, I never tow anything, but I have pulled out some tree stumps with it. 118k and I can balance a champagne pyramid on it when its running. Ford runs as smooth or smoother than my Beamer, Pathfinder and IROC.

Reply to
Justbrilliant

Steve Barker has been a Ford Dealer mechanic for too many years and doesn't care if he EVER sees another 5.8 the rest of his life. I've never owned one and never will.

Reply to
Steve Barker

Well I wasn't sure about that one. I don't think i've ever seen a c-6 in a

90+ truck. Thanks for the info.
Reply to
Steve Barker

Well, you must get some options with yours. Other than my 5.8 4X4 C6, I have AC and an FM radio. I have to have the one of the most plain Jane's out there.

Reply to
Justbrilliant

Thanks guys for the input and ideas. I guess the C6 went out with the auto-lockup type, eh? Anyway been away from the PC, or should I say on this NG, so thought I'd better check it. Still have not picked up a 250 yet, but time is no short. If I go thru another winter with my 150 that's fine, too, since I love that 4.9 in-line. Not power, just a nice torquey engine with pretty good milage, if 16 in town is good. I think about 17 on the road.

Karl in Spokane

Reply to
Karl Shoemaker