Cigarette Lighter Failure: 2001 F-150

Where can I find a schematic for a 2001 Ford F-150? I need to figure out why the cigarette lighter doesn't work anymore.

My wife lets the kids use a 400 Watt inverter to play video games while we travel and it stopped working (the fuse isn't blown). The cigaretter lighter no longer works, either; need a different fuse tester to access all the truck fuses.

Reply to
Bryan

Some models provide a separate outlet than the cigarette lighter for such use. You are probably aware that 400 watts is way over the capacity of a lighter outlet. That's over 30 amps on a circuit with probably a 10-20 amp fuse. If you didn't blow a fuse, you may have burned a connection or a wire. Let the kids have their fun, but wire up your own separate outlet with heavier wire and a 30 or 40 amp fuse. The fact that it stopped working for you has probably saved you more grief on the road.

Reply to
Al Bundy
400 watts is over 30 amps, I'm not sure but I think the cig lighter has a 25 amp fuse. You said the fuse isn't blown, but I can't imagine it not blowing. It should be visible, no tester required.

Having said that, I'd have to start looking at the connections at the cig lighter, and other obscure stuff like that. I'd be checking the fuse block to see if one side it hot or not, then working the wires back from the block to the battery.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland