cooling system in 97 PSD question

I have a 97 f250 OSD 4x4 automatic that has started leaking around the water pump pulley. No problem I know I will have to replace the water pump. But I have noticed something unusal in that no water seems to be leaving the over flow tank. This tank has 2 hoses attached to it, one on top like normal to the radiator and a second larger one attached down low that looks to go back to the engine. Is there a check valve in that line? Or is the water supposed to go back thru the radiatior? Also is there an easy way to refill the system without taking a rad hose off?

thanks dave B.

Reply to
liteflyer 1