89 FORD AEROSTAR SCHEMATIC FOR HEATER HOSES

I have replaced the heater in my mini van and the original owner had disconnected the hoses. There are two connectors for the water to flow through but I am not sure where they would be connected to. Does the upper connection go to the thermostat or the water pump ? If anyone has a schematic for this vehicle please attach it or if you have a picture of what the hook up should be please provide that. I was also told at NAPA auto parts that there is a tee which needs to be used but no one has it for sale and I don't know where to find this. It is suppossed to allow the water to go back to the radiator. Thank you for all your help.

victoriaschenk at yahoo dot com

Reply to
Viclos via CarKB.com

How the hoses are routed makes no difference. The core is just a little radiator that hot coolant flows through, so there is no wrong 'direction' for that flow.

Dave S(Texas)

Reply to
putt

Thank you. I have a couple more questions. I was sold a heater valve that is supposed to hook into the 18 inch hose that attaches to the heater and then connects to another longer hose which goes to the engine. It has three holes. One goes to the engine, the second goes to the heater, and the third smaller one I would assume goes to the vaccume hose? Also does that longer hose comming from the heater valve attach to the water pump or the thermostat and how is the valve positioned? Does the high side go out to the heater or to the thermostat. Thanks again.

Reply to
Viclos via CarKB.com

Sorry, can't help with that vacuum control. I suggest you go to

and ask folks on that forum.

Dave S(Texas)

Reply to
putt

I had an 89 Aerostar with a 3.0 engine and had to replace the heater core. There was no valve. the hoses went from the thermostat to the heater core then back down to the water pump. Water flows through the heater core all the time. Heat is controled by the blend door in the heater itself. I always hooked the hose from the thermostat to the lower hose , that way it would flow from the bottom up eleminating any air trapped in the heater core. I wouldn't put any valve in since this basicly the thermostat bypass circut, which lets water flow when the thermostat is closed. I hope this helps.

Jim

Viclos via CarKB.com wrote:

Reply to
Jim Downey