dead battery/electrical problems with 1990 F-250

howdy - I have a quirky 1990 F-250.

Bought it back in 2005. Had few if any problems with it - it always started up and ran fine. Just didn't drive it much.

After 6 months, I forgot to turn off the dome light, and the battery went dead. Replaced the battery in late 2005, and started it up and ran it around every couple of weeks.

Started to use the cab for some tool strorage and I guess a box or something eventually fell off a pile of other boxes, and bumped up against the power lock switch, and I guess that constantt operating of the pwoer door lock switch killed the second battery. So I clearned out the cab, got a new battery, and thought my problems were solved. Went back two weeks later, and the battery is dead again.

Any ideas what I should do? Get a new battery and do a starting system check? Could something in the alternator kill the battery while the truck isnt' even turned on and running? Could there be a short in the power door lock switch? Or a short anywhere else?

Reply to
UseNet Reader

recharge the battery. with an ampmeter measure how much current is being drawn with the key off. millie-amps is normal

Reply to
samstone

On Wed, 26 Sep 2007 13:07:02 -0400, UseNet Reader rearranged some electrons to say:

Any of the above. Have the alternator checked, a shorted diode can drain the battery.

By the way, when a battery has been discharged, you don't necessarily need to buy another one. Just have it charged up.

Reply to
david

The battery is dead - won't hold a charge.

Reply to
UseNet Reader

The battery won't hold a charge

Reply to