F150 Auto Trans Solenoid(s) went bad; dropped out of gear

I hope I can keep somebody from getting in a bind over this. My 2002 F150 SuperCrew had (one or more) bad transmission solenoid. The thing would slip out of gear while driving. Almost always the engine/trans was hot, like while driving at fast speeds on a hot day. Once it started, there was almost no stopping it. I found (while waiting for Ford to schedule me an appointment) that if I let it cool off for 30 minutes or so, it would work OK again.

Then when I took it in, the technician gave it NPF (No Problem Found) After going through this 3 times I finally took it to a trans shop. They had to wheel and deal with the Extended Warranty company (Enterprise Sales) and finally did a full rebuild on the tranny.

When I got it back (9 days later) and drove it off it immediately did the same thing. Took it back, next day it worked OK. The tech told me that in his "FULL REBUILD" he had not replaced the electrical solenoids (even though his estimate/quote said that they were included in the rebuild.) They replaced the turkeys and it has worked perfectly until now; about 30000 miles later.

Hope I can save somebody else the frustration.

Mark

Reply to
Mark F via CarKB.com